Electricity for short period of time

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Investaa, 20th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Investaa

Investaa Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

Do you if is possible to connect the electricity for only a few weeks to perform some reno and then disconnect it before tenants move in. currently, IP is vacant and electricity is disconnected.

do you have any recommendations for electricity provider in Melbourne with no disconnect fee and no set period?

I am with Red energy for my PPOR and I am happy with them, their website suggests that they do not have a set period and disconnection but not sure if this true and there a catch in terms and conditions.

Thanks in advance

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We have done this a couple of times in Queensland.

Just make sure before you connect that the company knows it is short term and no contracts are involved. Phone and check, calls are usually recorded.

It may have helped that we used the same supply company as we had for our PPOR so were a known customer.
    Marg

Michael Mitchell and Investaa like this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I do this all the time and use the same provider we use at home. As @Marg says, give them a call, specifically tell them this is short term, you don't want to be locked into any contract. You will get a confirmation email with a welcome pack to confirm this.

4. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Give My Connect a call on 1800 854 478. They'll tee up a quick and easy temporary connection. It's only about $10 in set-up fees.

5. willy1111

willy1111 Well-Known Member

Yes there are companies without contracts, without connection/disconnection fees.

I used momentum energy to do this recently...not sure if they have the best rates though...maybe use an electricity comparison website.

6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

just do the renos till the power goes out, then start making the calls ;)

Handyandy, willair, datto and 3 others like this.
  7. Ko Ko Naing

Ko Ko Naing Well-Known Member

I just did the same for one of my IPs in Ballarat for 2-week period before the tenants moved in. It was with EnergyAustralia. No dramas.

Investaa likes this.
  8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

This used to work, but for quite a few years now, they get in quick and stop that little caper.

Investaa likes this.
  9. Investaa

Investaa Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone,

I have called Red energy and mentioned to them that I need this for a few weeks and there is no exit fee or set period on this, only 7.5$ connection and will have 10% discount on the bill, we are with Red for our PPOR as well,
    Thanks

10. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Times are tough for those greedy carbon suckers
    I did reno's before moving in to our poor. I rang to disconnect the previous owners connection. Then have them a future date after settlement and when I was thinking to move in. ;) #propertyinvestorlife saved 7.50 ;)

11. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Grab a long extension cord and see if you can siphon some power from a neighbour. Offer a slab of beer and a BBQ. Get to know the neighbours as well.

Alternatively a 2K watt generator would do most jobs.

12. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I did this once on a place I knew would take me months to get ready, well, last time I would do that, as it took months too rectify and I may as well have been talking Chinese to the Indians at the so called English call centre...

Seriously, it was a pain.

I would just pay neighbors or take my generator if doing a lot of work next time....