QLD Electricity bill

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Learner2, 31st Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Learner2

Learner2 Active Member

Hi all,

I have a strange request from tenants. They think they have got a huge electricity bill for the last 3 months (~$1050) and believe there is probably something wrong and want electrician to come take a look. I am probably going to reject the request and ask them to get electrician at their own expense, if they believe so. Just want to know your views and how you would deal with something like this. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

One cause can be a faulty pressure relief valve on the hot water. This can be easily checked if you know where the outlet for it is - check for a slow dibble of hot water. You need a plumber to replace it.

I should add that excess electricity usage ends up as heat somewhere. Or is it just a lot of heating due to working from home.

Learner2 likes this.
  3. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Ask them to pay for the electrician however if something is found that you are responsible for then you will pay the electrician's bill? Sounds reasonable for both parties.

Learner2, spludgey and wylie like this.
  4. James90

James90 Well-Known Member

Ask the tenants to check if the meter was actually read or just estimated. Ive had a few call outs in the past where this has been a issue, basically the retailer massively over estimated the usage.

If it was a actual read its almost always just comes down to usage, I went to a house one time where it was just a Grandmother and her adult grandchild living in the house, she was complaining her bill was large so I started doing my checks (usually HWS thermostat checks) and found on a Brisbane summer 35+ degree day the grandson was using the 30year old dryer to dry his clothes instead of hanging out, basically packed up my tools on the spot.

TMNT, Stoffo, Learner2 and 2 others like this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's winter, do they have Air-cond or heating? It's been wet, how about the clothes drier?
    It's been ISO-city, they've been WFH using the heat/cooling all Day.

wylie, datto, Learner2 and 2 others like this.
  6. Learner2

Learner2 Active Member

Thank you. Will keep these in mind.

7. Learner2

Learner2 Active Member

Fair enough

8. Learner2

Learner2 Active Member

Thanks. Never heard about estimated usage before. Good to know something new.

9. Learner2

Learner2 Active Member

True. Will find out about appliances usage.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia