Electricity Bill

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by jins13, 12th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Hi,

Just wanted some assistance with a matter l have. Property is located in NSW in case there are any differences in the different jurisdictions. Anyway, there was an issue with the HWS which resulted in a high gas bill which as a gesture of goodwill l elected to pay half of the tenant's gas bill due to it being high for two people. I was recently told that the tenants received the electricity bill which was also extremely high, so a electrican was dispatched and confirmed there were no faults identified.

My newbie question is the high electricity bill linked to the faulty HWS? I've advised the managing agent to confirm the dates for the electricity bill.

2. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Just a guess, perhaps the hws high usage was over both billing periods?

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If it's a gas hws, then power may be required for the piezo/auto temp control but otherwise power is not required. They may have been running the ac 24/7, pool pump, heaters etc

4. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Btw should have mentioned it was close to $800 for the bill not sure if that was quarter or month but will talk to the managing agent on monday but not going to give the tenants credit again unless l am sure that it was due to the HWS.

Thanks guys

5. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

oh yea, just realised its gas & elec :oops:

6. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Something to keep in mind with respect to high electricity bills :

Some chargers (such as chargers for mobile phones plugged into the wall and switched on but not necessarily attached to the phone) will stuck suck power. Perhaps provide the tenant with some educational material with respect to electricity consumption and tips re reduction of consumption.

7. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

When I read first bit, thought you were going to suggest drug lab.
    All adds up but phone charges when not in use would be very minimal wouldn't it, sim to a bedside clock radio?

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Some people have no idea how to be conservative.:rolleyes:

That cheaper fridge/big screen TV might be cheap to buy, but likely chews a chunk more power than the mid priced good quality version. :eek:

Also, there are different grid area owners across NSW and electricity rates vary, what you paid in Syd may be cheaper than in Orange :(

So your tenant shouldn't expect their bill to be similar to their last place o_O

9. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Well for me I am not willing to provide another credit to the tenants unless I can ascertain it was due to the HWS, as @Scott No Mates mentioned if it was due to a piece of the HWS that triggered the high electricity bill, ok fair enough I take responsibility for it but I can't see the connection atm. I hope that the managing agent didn't prematurely inform the tenants that I'll pay for it because if it can't be proven, I am not paying for it.

10. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Sparkies have mentioned it so it must be relevant enough.

A relative of mine funded an overseas trip for his family of 5 with electricity bill savings by being mindful of things like this, turning the tv off at the powerpoint before going to sleep at night etc. So yes it all add up to quite a lot.

11. Ghoti

Ghoti Well-Known Member

Sorry for the off topic post - Jac just hit a raw nerve!

Government are masters of misdirection...<oooo> standby power, <tut tut> mobile phone chargers, <gasp> incandescent globes! Truth is these things are petty compared to heating, cooling, HWS, refrigerator, oven.

Far easier for the Government to demonstrate its environmental credo by eliminating incandescent globes and unplugging chargers than increasing renewable energy and getting everyone to replace their fridge!! If you don't believe me...consider the phone charger. Berkeley university studies showed that 'average' phone chargers used 6.5kwh per year (which includes charging cycles!). In cost terms that's $1.54 per year (29.634c/kwh - Victorian standing offer). Unplugging them and banking the savings for an O/S trip...yeah, right.

<rant over, breath out>

OP - The GAS HWS increase in power consumption would be negligible as the current required to run the thermostat is 3/5ths of bugger all, and if the igniter is electric (not a pilot light) that might add another 0.01%.

punti, jins13, Perthguy and 2 others like this.
  12. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Whenever this topic comes up I always think I should get one of those things I can plug into the point, plug device into it, tells me how much its drawing, just curious.
    But 10min later I forget all about it.
    For me, living on my own, consumption charges on all utilities aren't really what stands out when I look at my bills, its the ruddy service & equipment charges.

There's also those remote controlled things for powerpoints now, can turn on/off the mains to all the entertainment unit stuff with the press of one button when the point is difficult to reach.
    But its just another remote control to lose.

13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We have one of those things to see how much current an appliance draws and it tells me how much to run that appliance for the whole day.

We also have the powerpoint plugs that are plugged into all our lamps in our living rooms. One button turns on/off nine table lamps and standard lamps. I used to have to turn on each lamp individually, muttering under my breath the whole time :p. That remote never leaves the place it lives, but we have spares if we lose one.

We've thought about wiring one in for our gate and external house lights, but haven't done so. We might do that next time we need a sparkie.

14. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Any surprises when you first used it?
    Enough to change any habits?

15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

It makes me think "do I really need the air-con today?" :D

We are not huge users of the air-con but if I'm hot, I'm going to run it.

I recall be surprised how much power an iron uses. But I don't iron anyway (rarely).

No real surprises.

Actually, I recall being surprised a how cheap it is to run the pool filter. People always say pools cost a lot to run. I disagree (just the power part anyway).

WestOz likes this.
  16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

No surprises just awareness.

A kettle draws 1800 w, microwave 900w, TV 105w, air-con 2400w.

From the basic knowledge you can calculate how many kw hours used.

17. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

On hot days and evenings, I go to the 24/7 university campuses to use the free aircon, electricity, internet and space. I actually get alot of work done too!!

18. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that and even more basis not to pay for the bill. I like to consider myself as a fair landlord but not going to be taken advantage of.

19. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

If gas HWS and no booster element, then electricity has nothing to do with you.

I would not get involved, they just want another discount and see you as easy target, tell them to take it up with whomever they chose as electricity provider.

PS my bill was higher this quarter, can you pay some of my bill ?

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice