Electrical Damage - Insurance

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by curtly, 11th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. curtly

curtly Member

So, my electrician was at my house today installing a ceiling fan. He took out the light fitting in the roof (to replace it with the fan) and at the exact same time, two different circuits tripped. The two circuits that tripped were not the lights circuit that he was playing with, but two different circuits that controlled various power outlets around the house and the central heating.

As a result of the tripped circuit, my TV blew one the boards and no longer works.

My electrician did not turn off the mains before working on the lights circuit (to remove the light fixture and replace it with the ceiling fan) and he denies responsibility, saying it was a coincidence that the other two circuits tripped at the EXACT same time as he was removing the light fixture.

I've lived in the house 8 years and have never had those circuit trip.

He then told me to call my insurance and tell them there was a power surge.

My question is this...

1/ can working on the one circuit (the lights circuit in this case) cause another circuit(s) to trip?
    2/ The electrician obviously did not turn the mains off before working on lights, was he supposed to?

I am trying to ascertain whether he is responsible or if it is just a very freaky coincidence.

And If the electrician is responsible, can I claim this on my insurance or will he have to claim on his insurance?

p.s. In this case, please assume repair of the TV is not possible.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The light circuit should have been turned off, he can't work on a live circuit except under exceptional circumstances. If it was turned off, then there's no chance of the other circuits tripping.

The sparky may provide a report indicating a power surge.

3. curtly

curtly Member

I've called the electricity distributor and they can't see any planned or unplanned supply interruption in my area at that time.

My electrician is telling me that there is no way working on one circuit could have caused another circuit to trip. And I am 100% sure he did not turn the light circuit off.

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

How are you sure?

5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

lights and mains power are separate lines
    ta
    rolf

6. curtly

curtly Member

Because he arrived at my house, walked straight into the room and proceeded to remove the light fitting. And I had other lights on in other rooms

7. curtly

curtly Member

Yes that's correct, but I want to know if there is even the smallest chance that working on one circuit could cause a another circuit to trip.

He did say that many safety switches that are installed are faulty. But I wasnt sure if that was an excuse / red herring, or a valid explanation as to why the power circuit tripped without the safety switch tripping first. And he didn't offer to install a new safety switch while he was here, so I though it was a bit odd.

8. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

Lights and power circuits back 10 to 15 years ago it was very common to run them through a 4 pole rcd together So yes it would trip all circuits out.

Now days each circuit is installed on a rcbo and is individual

Beano likes this.
  9. James90

James90 Well-Known Member

Exactly right.
    He could of had the light circuit off and it would still trip out the safety switch taking out all other circuits that go through it , in this case the two power circuits.
    Its very common and happens all the time. Not the electricians problem, a safety switch tripping is no different then you unplugging it at the wall, it was a surge, treat it as one.

10. curtly

curtly Member

Thanks, do you know what could have been the cause of the surge in this instance?

11. curtly

curtly Member

ok, so I may know the culprit. I just went up into the attic with my spotlight and found that there is water damage on the ceiling and in/around the wiring (presumably rain water somehow got through the roof tiles). I'm not sure when this happened but the water stains are dry.

Does this now explain the circuits tripping? And if so, if the electrician had turned off the circuit or mains before doing his work, would this have prevented the tripping?

12. jared7825

jared7825 Well-Known Member

Would usually only isolate the circuit your working on when changing light or power fittings not the mains

13. curtly

curtly Member

I just find it extremely hard to accept that the other two circuits tripped at the exact same time as he was disabling the light fixture on the lighting circuit (that he didnt switched off and didnt test first).

Obviously not his fault if there was existing dodgy wiring or water damage etc, but my view is that if he turned off the lighting circuit like he is supposed to do, the other circuits would not have tripped and my TV and computer gpx card and monitor would have been spared.

14. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If you are trying to establish that the electrician was at fault, you will have to engage another electrician to give you a full, written report outlining the circumstances and cause of the incident.

Just be aware that this may cost you more than buying a new TV, with no guarantee that the electrician will be found at fault.

And even if you can prove the electrician was at fault, he will only be obliged to compensate you for the value of the damaged TV. Given how quickly TVs depreciate, it may not be much at all.

Beano, Perp and wylie like this.
  15. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I believe you can get a surge protection device to plug in between your TV / computer and the power point.

Might be a good time to invest in one of those.

wylie likes this.
  16. curtly

curtly Member

it was plugged directly into the GPO

17. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

So you had the TV on while he was making changes ?

18. curtly

curtly Member

no it wasnt on

19. curtly

curtly Member

The electrician said the light he was working on was isolated at the light switch, but I have read from various sources that turning the light switch off isn't necessarily good enough because he wont know how its wired up behind the wall etc, i.e. it could have been wired incorrectly, or is damaged somehow.

20. James90

James90 Well-Known Member

He's an electrician, he did a 4 year apprenticeship, he works with electricity every day, i'm sure he would of tested the circuit before he touched (electrician 101)
    I think you need to accept the fact that the TV has failed and go buy a new one without some far fetch theory that someone else should be buying it for you.

Optimus, Beano and Marg4000 like this.