Electrical Damage following storm - who to submit claim to

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by lazyhorse, 15th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. lazyhorse

lazyhorse Active Member

Not sure where this fits best - feel free to move if appropriate.

Following the storm in Melbourne yesterday our power was out from around ~2.30 pm until ~2.30 am

Now the power is back on and we have a few devices that are not powering back on.

I spoke with two neighbors and they are having similar issues. I suspect the issues may be caused a spike through the NBN, as the neighbors NBN modems are not powering on, and all the devices I am having issues with were networked cable to the telstra router.
    I have lost a 60 Inch TV, the telstra provided Modem and router, a wireless access point and a Ethernet over power device.

What is the best process for determining if there was a power spike, and if I should be able to submit a claim? who to?

On another note - how do you get support for the Internet being down?
    Telstra: "there is a wide spread outage on the NBN that is being looked at"
    Me: "umm, the modem and router isn't turning on"
    Telstra: "That is because there is an outage, once that is resolved they will switch back on"
    Me: .......

Cheers

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I had this exact conversation when our phone/internet equipment were ruined by a lightning strike nearby, that damaged or ruined equipment to all houses connected to the one street pole.

Person on the end of the line insisted we'd have to wait once the power/network was back on. I explained over and over that everyone connected to that one pole had "dead" equipment. I wanted to bang my head against a wall. We were not in Brisbane so doing this whilst trying to enjoy a holiday was so much fun... NOT!

We lost the modem or router(?), something else that I don't understand, and a brand new home phone. I think we were sent a new router (or modem?) but cannot recall if we had to pay for it. We bought a new phone.

It wasn't worth claiming on our insurance. We just had to suck it up unfortunately.

lazyhorse likes this.
  3. lazyhorse

lazyhorse Active Member

Yeah - the TV was about $2000 five years ago so that hurts to lose

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Claim goes to your insurer. It won't be an NBN fault as the equipment is powered through the mains not via NBN.

As for the $2000 TV, it's worth a couple of hundred now.

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

The telstra provided equipment is theirs - so they will replace it once confirmed they are faulty (i.e. dead) - yes it takes a few calls and standard tests (does it power on? Noooo....)

The rest is content insurance as per post above.

The Y-man

lazyhorse likes this.
  6. lazyhorse

lazyhorse Active Member

Thanks for the responses

7. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Technology equipment loses its value so fast it hardly seems worth insuring