Election Results

Discussion in 'Politics' started by gman65, 2nd Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

The AEC were extremely wrong in the information they extensively provided about how to vote in the new senate voting arrangements, so yes the AEC could be wrong in the short term.

Turk is correct, the AEC is providing a list of who is currently leading in a seat and not predictions. However, who is leading is often indicative of who will win once a good chunk of the vote has been counted. When you combine the ABC predictions, with Antony Green's slant and the AEC it's not clear that the coalition will win at all, let alone with a majority.

Many here post with their heart and not their head when it comes to politics.

Perthguy and LibGS like this.
  2. Ed Barton

Wilkie is also a strong supporter of gambling reform. Wilkie made his support (only promising to not block supply or confidence) of the 2010 Gillard govt conditional on some sort of enquiry or something into gambling. If the parties courting independents can get Xenophon and Wilkie on side with real gambling changes then they will get three (likely) senate votes chucked in for free.

Bayview and Perthguy like this.
  3. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Clear losers in this election are the Greens, Liberal party and Labor party.

Greens and Liberals have both lost seats. Labor received its second lowest primary vote ever. People have really gone off the Coles, Woollies and IGA of Australian politics.

Big winners are Xenephon party and One Nation who are shaping up to hold the balance of power in the senate. Mr X might even be king maker in the lower house.

bob shovel likes this.
  4. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Clearly a sign that the voting Public have had a gutful of what passes as Poltical Activity in this Country lately.

I voted Libs (as usual) - not because I wanted to; but because the Independents don't have enough firepower, collateral, wider issue policies etc to run the joint properly either - so I didn't want to hand the reins over to Labor by voting for Pauline etc (I whacked her in at no.2 behind Greg Hunt - local boy)..

One of the Labor lackies was absolutely crowing about what a fantastic job Billy Bob has done in this election to almost snatch victory from the jaws of defeat...

Seriously?

He almost nothing to beat...coming off a low base to fight against, and Mal almost lost the unlosable Election...Billy Bob still managed to get to the end with not much of a plan to save the joint, create new jobs and increase the revenues (other than more taxes and more spending) to stimulate the economy.

Last edited: 3rd Jul, 2016
    Perthguy likes this.
  5. Shahin

Shahin Member

It's very hard to pass major policies like negative gearing in a hung parliament. Also super changes and company tax cuts specially for big companies won't pass . So the effect on property market is more dependent on if AU would keep AAA rating or not?

Propertunity and Perthguy like this.
  6. Perthguy

We really have and this result confirms that.

second worst primary vote ever should be a wakeup call, not something to crow about. The voting public essentially rejected the Labor parties agenda at this election. Same with Libs. Reject.

Bayview likes this.
  7. Ed Barton

Labor are set to pick up seats. I wouldn't call that a loser.

Really? I'm not so sure. I would have expected it to be four or five. The primary vote doesn't matter when it comes to winning elections.

8. Perthguy

If they can't form government, they lost the election. If the coalition can't form majority government, they lost the election too. Many losers, not many winners.

Bayview likes this.
  9. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Whats really unfortunate here is that this kind of uncertainty eg hung parliament etc is not going to do anything for the economy. Neither lib nor labour have such poor policies ( eg trump style) that is genuinely going to mean we are f****ed. From a economic perspective, you would eant stability and certainty. Ie this kinda uncerrtainty is worse than either party forming a clear majority.
    This indecisiveness will be reflected in the short term in the asx and likely the aud as well.

Bayview, Erida, Propertunity and 3 others like this.
  10. Perthguy

my mistake. Second lowest primary vote since 1949. I know primary vote does not count to win an election. But a primary vote that low is not something to celebrate or be proud of. Shorty is carrying on like he won the election. But really, a primary vote that low is voters rejecting his policies. Ditto Turnbull.

Bayview likes this.
  11. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

How's Whyalla looking for investment now ?
    Tariffs were imposed back in Apr and now with Nick Xenophon in driver's seat, some protectionism is expected for steel production from whoever negotiates with him.

12. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

By definition you are right; but they didn't "win" it (or nearly win it)....Liberals lost it.

I liken it to the US Open golf tournament (Election campaign), and you have Jordan Speith (Mal Turnbull) leading by 6 shots with 9 holes to go (cannot lose from here).

But then he throws in 3 double-bogeys on the last 9, and meanwhile Jason Day (Billy Bob) is plodding along, making pars; not doing anything fantastic or really bad, and sadly 3 putts the last for a bogey - to lose by 1 shot.

JayDay has caught up big time; didn't do enough really good things to snatch the win; Speith just stuffed it up and gave him a fighting chance that he never really should have had.

13. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Whichever side doesn't end up forming government is the loser.
    I can't see either side being in a position to pass any legislation through the senate, it looks like 3 years of government in care taker mode.

Perthguy likes this.
  14. Skilled_Migrant

If it is a minority government, labor has a better history of negotiating legislation as compared to coalition.

LibGS and Ed Barton like this.
  15. Perthguy

Looks like it is going to be a free for all in the Senate. Hanson, a right winger, has expressed a preference for Labor. Interesting bedfellows o_O

16. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Different players this time around, no T.A., no NP hater Windsor or closet lefty Oakshot masquerading as something else in a NP seat.
    I guess Labor and the Greens are more likely to be aligned. Katter is highly protectionist, Xenophon Party MP/s will be under instruction from NX? He considers himself as representing the centre so he could work with either. Tonight he was saying that he thought M.T. was more likely to form government.

M.T. would be highly capable of negotiating with anyone and he might not even have to throw in 800 million for Hobart hospital.

As for the senate well, commiserations to whoever wins trying to round up that bunch.

Perthguy likes this.
  17. Perthguy

Labor apparently standing united. Liberals imploding. Bit of a worry.

Watching 7.30, so far Bernadi made a lot of sense. Big worry. Albo also making a lot of sense. What is going on? o_O

HUGH72 likes this.
  18. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Bernadi... The less said about him the better.
    He's like the embrassing cousin that you never see but have to invite to your wedding.:oops:

19. Perthguy

Exactly! I can't stand him. That is why I found it so disturbing that it sounded like he was making sense. o_O

20. Skilled_Migrant

Rather Bernadi than Pauline. Never thought will say that, but stranger events are happening, as expressed by Tony Blair and repeated on Q&A "Globalization is being attacked on both right (immigration) and left (free-trade)".
    Guess Shorten might have to deal with Pauline to deliver what he has promised. In essence Australia is not dissimilar to Brexit or USA:
    Pauline Hanson + Nick Xenophon = Nigel Farage + Boris Johnson = Donald Trump.

Last edited: 5th Jul, 2016