Election Results

Discussion in 'Politics' started by gman65, 2nd Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

See reply from @DaveM above for graded adoption of technology. Computer and apps are not the only technologies better than paper.
    Third world countries with much higher rates of illiteracy use Electronic Voting Machines.
    Drama or ignorance ?
    upload_2016-7-10_22-20-58.png upload_2016-7-10_22-22-30.png
    upload_2016-7-10_22-23-46.png

Last edited: 10th Jul, 2016
  2. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

Negative Gearing reform was one of the top 8 most important issues in the election (didn't see your frog in there).

Governments ignore it at their peril, as the Coalition discovered. Soon they will wake up.

Skilled_Migrant likes this.
  3. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Yes salad, a very important part of meal

4. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

This is the last election Turnbull will win. Before he was leader he was a conviction politician. And this election has shown just how far he is willing to go to appease the right wing of his party. Mal better get a good supply of KY.

5. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Mal was enamoured by the Left because when he took over form TA he was more to the Left than to the Right....

This will of course; put him out of favour with the Left....you cannot expect him to move to the Left just to please you, because; at the end of the day; he is the Leader of the LNP, so he has no choice but to pursue the core values of that Party which are more to the Right...

And; since ousting TA, there has been no love lost between Mal and the TA supporters - who are still there.

This almost failed Election - after he promised the world and delivered an atlas - has caused a huge amount of internal conflict, and I suspect he won't make it to the next Election as Leader - unless he can achieve something miraculous for the economy.

Good luck with that....given his track record of saying a lot but doing nothing since taking over from TA; I suspect that is not going to happen.

Last edited: 11th Jul, 2016
    THX and Perthguy like this.
  6. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

I only expected him to be more progressive in social policies, which he most certainly espoused before he was leader. I knew he was a typically incompetent right wing economic thinker. I knew he did not have the best interests of the country in mind.

But from his speech on the night he won the leadership, and I stayed up to watch it live, it was clear he was also going to abandon his social convictions. This is one of the reasons they did poorly in the election.

7. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Um; Rudd/Gillard/Rudd transition from record surplus, to record deficit and 3 Leaders in 6 years?

(We may beat that with TA and Mal :p)

Longest serving PM in Aus - Bob Menzies, followed by John Howard.

Libs - 3 out of 4 longest serving in history of Aus. (Bob Hawke 3rd)

All Pollies are progressive with social policies; it just depends on your point of view what you think is "progressive"

Do all of them advocate unlimited ad-hoc immigration? No.

That is not regressive; it is being practical as how it pertains to the running of the economy...but no doubt; to your lot it is being regressive.

But; Check this out;
    Kingmaker Katter calls for cuts to immigration

Mal might have a bit of trouble being "progressive" with this bloke in there...:eek:

Last edited: 11th Jul, 2016
    HUGH72, THX, Perthguy and 1 other person like this.
  8. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Really? Seems to me like Labor put up a NG and CGT reform policy and then lost the election.

HUGH72, THX, RetireRich101 and 4 others like this.
  9. Perthguy

Q&A tonight is discussing the election. It is mayhem and quite entertaining actually. It is quite the rabble :)

Dean Collins likes this.
  10. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Deflect deflect deflect. We are talking about Mal. Very typical of you.

11. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Deflect this.
    The election is over, The Coalition has won with a majority government and will now proceed to deliver their mandate.
    Let them do the job the majority of Australians voted for them to do.
    End of story, no arguments, move on.

12. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

Is it a victory or mandate when:
    • The reason (senate composition) a DD was called has only been amplified.
    • The majority government has to adopt the opposition, independent parties agenda to have any scope of governing.
    • Risk rating goes up as a result of election.
    • Prime minister loses authority within his own party
    A primary vote of 28.6% (Liberals) and 4.7% (Nationals) looks like the majority of Australians do not think the coalition are fit for the job.

• The story is currently being written by liberal Right.
    • Have Tony Abbott, Eric Ebetz, Cory Bernadi moved on ?

13. lewy89

lewy89 Well-Known Member

Regardless of any other outcomes, which party has the majority ?

14. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

My representative has a mandate from his constitaunts to stop the worst of LNP rubbish. And my Senators have the same mandate. Mandate, smandate.

15. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

I can't understand those who refuse to accept reality.
    Quite a bit like Bill Shorten running around dong a victory lap while suffering the 2nd worst result in history for labor.
    Who phoned who to concede?

HUGH72 and Perthguy like this.
  16. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Dude, you are the one who refuses to accept reality. 9 hostile senators. More zombie budget measures. That is reality. At least Mal knows the problems he will face, which is why he was brown nosing on the phone the very next morning.

Might makes right, that is the only reality in politics.

17. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

The reality is that while the Coalition won the election and have a mandate, there is still a hostile senate- probably even more difficult than before. Mal is going to have a tough time of it in the next year. A lot of people will be gunning for him.

In the interests of accuracy, let's clarify your statement. It is not the second worst result in history for Labor. It's the second worst primary vote for Labor since 1949. On the same measure, LNP didn't do so great either- their fourth lowest in the same period. Most of the extra votes went to other parties, and the majority of those preferences floated to Labor two to one. The two party preferred vote is 50.34 to 49.66 at last count.

Some people blame the superannuation changes- Abetz unloaded on the Lib leadership about this today- but I think a lot of left leaning voters are upset with Mal's lack of action on some causes, while the right are upset that he's not Tony.

18. Perthguy

This fact alone should humble our mate Mal. It does not seem to have.

Errm. I am a Liberal voter and I don't agree. Super definitely influenced my vote at this election.

19. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Most of the changes would affect only people with large super balances or income. I suspect a majority of those would vote Lib no matter what.

The group who belong to this forum are not typical voters.

Chrispy likes this.
  20. Perthguy

I agree with your comment that most on this forum are not typical voters. I voted against the super legislation because it is retrospective, which I fundamentally disagree with and because a lifetime cap of $500k seems idiotically small. Think of someone on their 20s now retiring in their 70s. Putting aside 10k a year extra (on average) for their working life is not an absurd proposition for an average wage earner. We are told that our compulsory super won't be enough and this policy makes dam sure that people won't be able to top that amount up enough to have a decent retirement. Stupid policy.

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.