Elderly? not tech savvy?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by balwoges, 22nd Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I didn't bother with having a parity drive, I just set it up as JBOD, if I lose it all then it's no big deal, it's just a media drive :)

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Are your drives hardened against an EMP attack?

The Y-man

3. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Be nice to us geriatrics. We do try. It took me all of two seconds to understand what JBOD meant so enough with the abbreviations!

I'll ask POTUS if it's worthwhile. That mob would probably be at more risk than this nobody.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I have to teach the children at work how to use word and excel. Mind you, they a have university degrees. Tech savvy my butt! :D

5. SatayKing

What a PITA.

Merely follow the "instructions" to add the NAS to Sonos. Oh, it's all so easy isn't it? Nup.

After many attempts and searching through many page of help (?) finally, finally was able to get to a page indicating the method to use - which does not seemingly coincide with other information of the product provider.

Weird thing is while to add it to the Music Library "\\NAS\Path\Library" is necessary, Sonos converts it to "//NAS/Path/Library." Mapping to the drive will simply not work.

Only now I'm able to select it from the list of music sources. It's taken me days to work it out.

Another lot of so-and- so's who should be smeared in honey and stretched over a bull ants nest.

So not fair on us elderly not-tech savvy. A multitude of grumbles.

6. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Sonos must use *Nix syntax. Absolute PITA that is and catches people out all the time (Took me ages to resolve the same issue for my Raspberry Pi a couple of years ago)

7. SatayKing

Lots of things are a PITA and some completely beyond my comprehension.

Now getting a lot of my CDs onto the NAS. Great.

However, one CD, at the first track, would start and then hang at about 10%. Gave it quite a few goes but zilch. Thought it was a CD which ain't going to happen.

Then I wondered will it still play? Yep. Then I also wondered if it still plays will it now rip? Yep. Took way less than a minute to complete.

Tech stuff is very strange.

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  8. Kelvin Cunnington

Kelvin Cunnington Well-Known Member

It is a generalisation that older people aren't tech savvy, but if you go to the Bank or Post Office, and watch who is lining up to do simple day to day Banking and Bill paying transactions?
    You will see that most of those transactions are conducted by the "elderly".
    My guess is they are either:
    1. Very untrusting of online systems and scared of being hacked, or
    2. Can't use online systems because they dont want to embrace the learning process to do it, or
    3. Just like to go down to the shops for a social event and choose to do the transactions while there.

9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I haven't been to a post office for quite a while and I rarely go to a bank. However, there are many reasons why somebody might not be online. Just some other reasons from my experience.
    1. They can't justify or can't afford the cost of setting up.
    2. Their eyesight might not be great.
    3. My dad bought a computer to go online. First, he didn't have somebody to reach him how to use it (he was interstate so I couldn't help). Then he couldn't find anything much to do online. So another family member ended up with the computer.

For banking, being untrusting would be a very big thing I'm sure.

Kelvin Cunnington likes this.
  10. Kelvin Cunnington

Yes, agree. All of these things contribute to the statement "not tech savvy".
    Interesting anecdote; my MIL has and uses a computer for emails, photos and things like that. Wears glasses, can afford to run her computer. She is very rudimentary in her knoweldge of how it works.
    But is completely averse to absorbing instructions on how to improve here knowledge if how to use it - just throws up her hands and says its all too hard, why do I need it, etc.
    And is even more averse to doing any sort of Bill paying online. We have to do all her running around to pay bills for her, as she cannot drive. Its infuriating.

geoffw likes this.
  11. geoffw

Ya gotta love MILs. Coz if you don't, you're in deep doodoo.

I got my MIL a nice armchair for her birthday. But my wife won't let me plug it in.

Back on topic, it's not only the elderly. I recently did some face to face study, and one of my fellow students had been unemployed, and didn't have a computer. He did all his assignments at the library. He was quite computer literate, and had no trouble using the computers, but couldn't justify the cost of a computer - not even a $200 second hand one from the local repair shop. But of course, he could always afford his big Friday night out at the club.

12. SatayKing

Haven't been inside a bank for I don't know when. Only go to the post office to pick up a parcel because the courier is probably too lazy to come to the door and leaves one of those little "Sorry, you weren't home cards." Doesn't happen very often though.

And when things are working, don't fiddle or panic.

A panic call yesterday from a friend. PV monitoring system not working so it follows (not) the system has broken down. Er, I'm the expert?

Anyways I went and checked. Luckily it was an inverter which you can see if it is producing. Yes it was. Scrolling through the menu it showed there was no IP address, so probably a communication issue. My solution was "Push the WPS button on the modem." It worked.

Payment was a good cup of coffee and nibbles.

Perthguy likes this.
  13. Kelvin Cunnington

LOL..."life/work balance". ;):)

kierank likes this.
  14. geoffw

I gather he was always quite unbalanced by the time his big night out finished :)

15. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

For many elderly people its not the issue of using the technology, its when something goes wrong and they dont know how to fix it , like a simple connectivity issue , but is it a device setting ,a modem problem or an issue with their service provider..
    It may be a problem with the printer,and they cannot print , or the old printer may no longer be supported.
    Many dont have family close bye or are estranged from family or in lots of cases have no close family.
    .Many have also been victims of some sort of fraud or attempted fraud or know someone that has been.
    So they prefer face to face service when dealing with paying bills.
    For example flight centre will even match domestic airfares specials for the elderly if they need to book , pay and print for interstate flights.

Last edited: 1st Dec, 2019
    wylie and Islay like this.
  16. Kelvin Cunnington

So, conclusion; they are computer savvy, but opt out for numerous reasons. ;)

17. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

And since they are no longer in the workforce they dont necessarily keep up with technology as it constantly changes.
    There are also on fixed incomes , so many will see spending $500-$1000 as a complete waste of money if a laptop needs to be replaced or is no longer supported for updates., and for why ??? Just so they can pay a bill online.
    Just go to the post office , its free.

18. Bunbury

Bunbury Well-Known Member

Just like the fee for a printed bill in the mail, many billers or financial institutions will charge $2-2.50 to pay a bill in person at Australia Post.

The Y-man and Kelvin Cunnington like this.
  19. Kelvin Cunnington

and then grizzle about the queue. :)

20. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

Many dont , and its still cheaper than replacing a 10 year old computer or laptop, many agencies also give pensioners some pretty good discounts.