Ekodeck

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Rose89, 22nd Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rose89

Rose89 Well-Known Member

Hey,
    Anyone used ekodeck!
    It’s not necessarily cheaper but the biggest thing for me is the reduced upkeep.

Anyone have any experience.

Thanks!

2. UrbanPlanner

UrbanPlanner Well-Known Member

Yeah we have it as the flooring for a rooftop terrace, which gets smashed by the sun and has no shade over. We are nearly 5 years in and it still looks brand new

3. Rose89

Rose89 Well-Known Member

My current place has a deck made out of it and the wood side structure is falling apart and the decking looks new. It’s pretty hardy that’s for sure.

Vicki S likes this.
  4. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I used one of their products and it was appalling. It warped, split and they ended up withdrawing it. It was more like a sleeper.

Their decking looks OK until scuffed against the grain (stone in boots, heels etc) or subject to direct heat as it is plastic at the end of the day. So no BBQ or fires, dropped cigs or candles etc anywhere near it. It can look a bit "fake" in large areas. Its like comparing vinyl timber-look flooring and real timber. Its definately more appealing and wearing than pine which shows up its imprefections in lengths as well as surface grain etc. A real hardwood deck can look better but then needs some upkeep. I always wonder how it will look in 10, 15 years. Their consumer warranty is 10-20 years (full to 10 then it tapers back) https://www.ekodeck.com.au/media/1447/designer-series-manufacturers-warranty.pdf

Redwing and luckyone like this.
  5. Clean Cookie

Clean Cookie Well-Known Member

It's great around water where you're not barefoot

Be aware you need to leave huge gaps for expansion. It is incredibly hot.

Difficult +highly unlikely it'll be recycled.

It looks fake, but durable.

Destroys blades cutting it so that adds to cost. Most builders I spoke to simply won't use it after a bad experience.

My Sikkens deck which was perfectly prepped is starting to weather and is due for some more after only 6 months of sun and rain/heavy foot traffic. It does look incredible though!

6. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Hubby wanted a no maintenance deck, so during our planning I looked far and wide for a decent composite decking - so many of them look fake with ghastly colours - and found the Spotted Gum from Abbey Timber ... Modern Deck Composite Decking Co-Extrusion superior hard shell. ... to be the best by far. Don't mind the promotional picture as it looks so much better in real life.

They make their planks with a merge of colours and a roughened finish, so it actually looks like timber. Easy as buggery to lay and really happy with the result. Cost about the same as the yuck stuff from Bunnings, but you do need to either pick up or get it shipped. As others have said, does get hot in the sun. Cuts easily with a drop saw or hand blade (hand saw or jigsaw for any fiddly bits) but does leave a mess of black plastic "sawdust"

This is it laid at our place:

149894778_10224693012218955_6614547094051965300_o.jpg

Clean Cookie, Lacrim and luckyone like this.
  7. Clean Cookie

Clean Cookie Well-Known Member

Nice! Never saw that option, it's either got to look real or make it look completely different imho.

Lizzie likes this.
  8. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

9. gniknotle

gniknotle Member

I've used it before and would definitely use it again - easy to install and looks just as good as when i laid it (been down for 4 years now)

10. Bendigus

Bendigus Well-Known Member

This might seem like a stupid question...

What's wrong with using painted timber. I'm genuinely curious. The problem with oiled timber seems to be that you need to keep oiling it every 6-12 months.

Surely there is a paint that's much harder wearing than just oil.

I've never seen it,. But most weather board houses are painted and don't need to be repainted every 6 months.

Likewise most new weatherboards these days are actually cement sheeting. Is there some sort of cement decking board. Hot plastic doesn't sould particularly great

11. Bendigus

Bendigus Well-Known Member

bonchovies likes this.
  12. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Have found artificial surfaces to be very hot with bare feet - synthetic turf included.

ta
    rolf