Efficiently self managing a rooming house

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by mr_alex, 27th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mr_alex

mr_alex Well-Known Member

I have currently been self managing for 4 years with a long term tenant, virtually no issues so I haven't had a lot of experience with screening/signing on/evicting tenants.

I am looking to operate a sharehouse, so 4-5 individual leases. - expecting more work involved, high turner rate etc.

I will not be living on the property. I am just wondering what systems people use for smooth management esp for multiple rooming leases.

1. Would you do your tenant checks first for whoever is interested, then invite for a viewing only the ones that were suitable? Or otherway around?

2. Should I use my own application form to collect things like ID, job/rental history and income? Any good templates out there?

3. How frequent should my inspections of the common areas and rooms be? I was aiming to visit the property at least once a month, room inspections less frequent I think
    This would be for things like common area cleaning/ smoke alarm checks/ lawn maintenance etc and probably gauge frequency.
    Thank you for any advice.

Reddy and BunnyXiao like this.
  2. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Checks before a viewing seems odd to me. Where is that the standard practice??