Effective landscaping for improved valuation

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by BenLight, 5th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BenLight

BenLight Member

Hoping to tap into the brains trust for effective ideas to landscaping this property with the end objective to improve valuation (improved yield would be a bonus).

Not sure what would be the most cost effective approach for the grass, or if a picket fence would be overcapitalising.

Attached Files:

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

PPOR or IP ?

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

To what purpose? Valuation, sale, tenancy? Where is the property located? What is the street morn?

4. BenLight

BenLight Member

Hi - It's an IP located in Rockhampton and the purpose of this work is to primarily raise valuation, and secondary try and raise rental values. I'd say half of the street has picket fences, and those that don't have a slightly better lawn (not that it can get much worse).

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

What’s your budget?

6. BenLight

BenLight Member

Looking for around $5K

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I wonder if adding a fence would raise the valuation much? Have you been advised that it would?

It would be good to see a couple more photos - the one posted is on an odd angle.

As a non expert, I’d start with this:
    1. Mow the lawn properly - with a mower not a whippersnipper.
    2. If it’s not lawn, consider getting some lawn in or reseeding - but if tenants don’t look after it you could be wasting your money. The Lawn Fanatics Facebook group has lots of helpful advice for bringing lawns back from the dead - but it’s mostly homeowners posting.
    3.Replace the rusty letter box.
    4.Tidy up the trees and edges.
    5.If the gate shown in the photo is the main entrance, add a path to the front door or clean up/tidy the one that’s there.
    6. If you keep the wire fence, think about what’s on the other side. May be add some low hedging plants around the perimeter - what do good-looking houses in the location with wire fences use? But again, tenants may not upkeep and could end up with garden beds overrun with weeds/grass. Will any planting need a watering system?
    7. A picket fence would be nice for looks. How high would you go? I‘d ask the PM if it actually would increase the rent you can get though.

Last edited: 5th Feb, 2022
    Cousinit, Shazz@, Westminster and 3 others like this.
  8. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Cleaning up the lawn and pruning the tree's will help.
    As an IP I'd only spend money on larger plants that would survive by themselves.
    Picket fence will require ongoing maintenance, so pass.
    Better to spend money in places that will return a higher rent, carport, dishwasher, repaint, other

Shazz@, craigc, Lizzie and 1 other person like this.
  9. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

How far short on the valuation are you? Have you ran with multiple lenders?

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Most valuations nowadays are rarely done "on site" unless it's an unusual property for the area or there are extenuating circumstances ... normally it's "oh a 3 bed, 2 bath on xx sqm in yy area" - look up recent comparable sales and give valuation - all at the desk

11. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

All I need to do is click a button and I can push a full valuation type over an AVM or desktop....

Lizzie likes this.
  12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Mowing lawns and maintaining a property doesnt immediately enhance value. But a drive by valuation wont be assisted if the place looks run down and unkempt. Even desktop vals often look at streetview for a idea of appearance. That old wire fence, rusted letterbox and what looks like overgrown grass doesnt sell "pride". What could it look like inside ? Street appeal may enhance rental demand.

You wont overcapitalise making progressive street appeal focussed enhancements like a nicer fence, quality lawn (mum can watch the kids out front if its fenced and turfed?) etc. Same with clean and maintain paint - Its seems OK but the window coverings could mean inside is dark and lacks light and view.

If it was mine I would bobcat the whole yard and all plants and lay quality soil and turf and picket fence it. Also would returf (buffalo) all nature strips as this gives a illusion of a massive lot which is alreday large but will appear even more so. Maybe even a built in sprinker so maintaining it is simple as turning a tap (or timer) And have some low impact garden beds to hide the underside of house (Buxus ?) and leave a open yard. Maybe a simple feature tree on a the corner. Initially do the turf and then consider the fence. Its a blank canvas.

Last edited: 18th Feb, 2022
  13. tomerayz

tomerayz Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add my 2 cents into here.
    We purchased in Western Syd in March 2020. I have since REALLY gotten into lawn & garden care.

when we moved in, the grass was decent but it was nothing special. We landscaped the entire front yard including taking up all the soil & putting new soil, turf, buxus, murraya’s, and Red Rubys along with new pavers & some extra walking paths. We also did a few minor renovations inside the house (including a kitchen remodel). This is a 1960’s circa house so it was overdue.

we recently got an evaluation and the house went from 815k in March 2020 to 1.16m today. I got talking with the evaluator because he was really nice & he asked me questions about my lawn so I specifically asked about the landscaping in the front & he said it helps dramatically with the price, upwards of 80-90k in instances. I put in about 8k into my front landscaping (and a lot of time but I love it) and I think it’s paid off in multiples!

Greedo likes this.
  14. Paul@PAS

Its like art. Use the right or wrong frame and people notice but is it good or bad ? . But whats in the frame usually is what reflects in the valuation. Poor landscape can make a place look unloved and needing spending and is often the first impression. Yet its also a opportunity for a fix up for those eager to add value for sure. I'm a big believer in street appeal makeovers that include replacing ALL the turf and allowing it to grow in with fresh plants. But also do the rear yard. Look at the love it or list it shows. It never ceases to amaze me none of them tried to fix the yard (or inside) and wonder why it didnt sell. Then its stripped back and giving a small makeover and everyone values the property up that they passed up. All the former people must kick themself for missing the unpolished gem.

Outside work often looks expensive since it involves hard work and heavy lifting. I reckon outdoors you can easily add $4 per $1 without getting silly about cost. $8K can look like $30k was spent. And new turf well laid and grown in with some top dressing to level out things is cheap as chips. Pure street appeal. Replace the letterbox with a statement and colour match it. (Milkcan?).

Cousinit and tomerayz like this.
  15. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

I have always liked the rural thing of using an old fridge as the letter box.

16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I’m all for landscaping being great “bang for your buck” but we try to keep things neat, tidy - but keep it simple - and before selling would be the time to spend the money on landscaping. I wouldn’t want to rely on a tenant looking after anything more than basic landscaping.

17. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Remember the climate in Rockhampton is drought or deluge. Keep it very simple.

18. skater

skater Well-Known Member

If low on budget, I'd tidy up those trees and get that lawn under control. And a new letterbox. All of which you can do yourself for next to nothing. If you've got more to spend, then maybe a picket fence. Can afford more? Go the whole hog & re-turf.

19. Paul@PAS

I have a good example of how bad landscaping may adversely impact values compared to another property where the quality landscaping and maturity of it enhances the value. Kind thanks to Pagey from The Wiggles. Former owner of the better of the two. Both in NW Sydney on Glenhaven Road.

A valuer would likley value the first incomplete property down for the need to add very extensive landscaping to what is a massive concrete area around the property. Possibly several hundred thousand dollars...And it doesnt have a garage for its massive size. A valuer may also be keen to see if the internals are also incomplete if they started a desktop val.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 11th Mar, 2022
    Lizzie likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia