Effect of sewer pipe cutting to ground

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by property_geek, 23rd Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. property_geek

property_geek Well-Known Member

Hi,

(see attached image)

I have my house just built and the builder has left this pipe sticking out of the ground. I talked to builder admin lady and after confirming with their plumber she says the pipe can be cut to ground by owner's landscaper.

However, my landscaper says cutting this pipe to ground is not advisable because the purpose of this pipe is to prevent flooding the toilet inside the house. The pipe should remain at slab level.

The house slab is at higher level than the ground.

I am bit confused because cutting pipe to ground will result in pipe to overflow before toilet overflows. Which is what is desired. So cutting it should not be a problem.

Please advise.

Attached Files:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It's an inspection opening over the boundary trap.

It's been left long to allow for landscaping. If it's lower than the lowest point in the house, then it can overflow before sewage comes into the house.

Marg4000 and Stoffo like this.
  3. property_geek

The top of pipe is same level as house slab.

Does it mean, it is safe to cut this pipe to grass level? (since the landscaping is now completed)

4. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

As per @Scott No Mates
    It is an IO for boundary and left long so that it doesn't end up buried/lost during landscaping.
    Likely that the top section hasn't been glued on yet either, so just pull it off, cut down to ground level (after the soil has settled) and get some blue pvc glue to attach later (or just slide it back on for now).
    It is not an overflow, take out the 3 screws and pop the lid you will find it has an O-ring seal. (The overflow is near the house with an open mess plastic grate and usually just below/at slab height).

5. property_geek

6. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

The thing that prevents the toilet overflowing is called an overflow relief gully (not the pipe in the photo) and is normally next to the house and has a open grating.

There is some more information at the following link: Overflow Relief Gulley – A New House

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@bashworth - true (I was looking at the photo on my dickie phone). The grated drain at the rear of the house is for the overflow though the IO will do the same if the lid isn't screwed on/when it gets opened up.