QLD Edens Landing

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Sydlad, 5th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sydlad

Sydlad Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone

Do people think the Waterford/Edens Landing/Holmview/Beenleigh area in logan would be prone to detached housing over supply

There seems to be a few new housing estates popping up in Waterford/Holmview

Combined with some estates that have been around for 20+years (Edens Landing)

What else does everyone think about Edens Landing in terms of CG growth

2. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

I think the suburb has a horrible name

3. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Holmview and parts of Beenleigh get the smell (and Q Fever allegedly) from the Teys abbatoir. Hence the cheap prices. Draw a wide circle from Teys road. Things the Interweb doesn't tell you........

4. Sydlad

Sydlad Well-Known Member

Interesting that yields are climbing again in the waterford/edens landing area as prices seem to have dropped again as more stock is being cleared

(As per realestate.com.au june15 ytd stats)

Wonder when/if capital appreciation will resume

Leads me to conclude detached housing oversupply due to new builds ?

5. Special order

Special order Well-Known Member

Can you tell me where you are seeing oversupply? We researched this lately and found that these areas are popular with oo and rentals have their own little popular market away from brisbane. Good long term option Imo, lots going on in Beenleigh

6. Sydlad

Sydlad Well-Known Member

Thats what im asking I guess

Im just concluding that because new estates popping up

So pop growth exceeding dwelling growth in your opinion ?

7. Special order

Special order Well-Known Member

I don't know what new estates your taking about, the ones in the sth of Waterford have always been there? Unless I missed something? Also the agents in the area bag the hell out those developments! they like to push the established stock.

We still watch the sales results and prices have been steady increase same with rentals, I'm not sure of the micro economics of it all though sorry.

Also in case your not aware- this area in particular is the last to move as it is directly affected by "price", not so much demand and supply as it is further in. This is what we learnt, someone local may add more

8. Michael_X

Michael_X Mortgage Broker Business Member

Edens Landing is very hilly, make sure you check the Landslide Hazard and Steep Slopes Area Overlay.

Can check via http://www.loganinteractivemapping.com.au/

Select the property address and use the overlay section on the left side column.

Cheers,
    Michael

9. Sydlad

Sydlad Well-Known Member

Thanks Michael

Given its hilly I would gave thought this is somewhat desired when local suburbs like waterford on a river can get flooded?

10. fols

fols Well-Known Member

The lower parts of Edens Landing can flood from memory. I also recall some good streets and some real **** ones, so you need to do your homework. That said, I think it's a worth a look. I have a duplex on Overland Drive

11. Tranquilo

Tranquilo Well-Known Member

Just got one in Edens Landing. Landslide hazard and steep slopes area overlay was a concern, but I did buy high and not at the bottom. The bottom would be a worry in heavy rain.

Last edited: 11th Jul, 2015
  12. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Plenty to chose in Edens Landing and Bethania out of flood zone. Anything down on the flat besides the river will be effected but if you know what to avoid you will be fine.

13. mja

mja Well-Known Member

Well don't live near the abattoir. Besides, they were there first.

14. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

Thanks for bringing this up Michael. Having just checked out some of the properties on my 'contenders list' I've found four of them come under Landslide Hazard and Steep Slopes Area Overlays (not in Logan). I had been looking at them in the positive light of having great views & hadn't even been thinking of the possibility that they could go sliding down a hill killing all onboard :eek:

I would be interested in other peoples opinions on this. Does landslide hazard outweigh fantastic views or vice versa? Also, would this be likely to jack up insurance premiums to insane levels?

15. citystar

citystar Well-Known Member

I looked at Eden's Landing for several months as it ticked all the right boxes, however I ended up settling for a house in Windaroo which is a few suburbs away to the south past Beenleigh. Price was the main reason. For the same amount of cash I was able to purchase a much larger block of land with a better design/layout house at a good price because it had not been maintained. A quick renovation to the interior freshened it up nicely. Windaroo is far enough away from Beenleigh to avoid concern for me.

Tekoz likes this.
  16. Tranquilo

Tranquilo Well-Known Member

Toon I think you'll be Ok. Just don't buy anything with flood or water overlay. Saying that you would still need to visit the property in person and make the call. No one would live on a elevated view otherwise. When I was there definitely some you wouldn't buy because of position but you can't do everything from this mapping app. Even when some come up in bush fire overlay there's not many tree's around the property.

Toon likes this.
  17. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

Thanks @Tranquilo, I had been focussing so strongly on the flood risk areas that I completely neglected some of the other negatives. Will definitely visit in person, just trying to whittle down my list to a manageable number before I make a trip up there.

18. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

@citystar Windaroo is really nice. My folks still have a place in down Mt Warren Park towards W. they liked that end of town so much.

citystar likes this.
  19. Steve Kay

Steve Kay New Member

I am looking at a property in Edens Landing and the overlay map says "OM-08.01 Landslide Hazard and Steep Slopes" - Does anyone know what this means?

Thanks for your help

20. Sydlad

Sydlad Well-Known Member

Not sure about landslide hazard bit

Re; prior comment about abbotoir don't think that's an issue ever since they upgraded the facilities there