Eden Monaro By Election

Discussion in 'Politics' started by geoffw, 26th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

This will be held on July 4.

I'm not game to call it - it will be close. Dr Kelly had a good personal following, which may have swung the result of the last election for the seat.

Living in the electorate, I've already been polled, and I've been on an electronic town hall phone call with Scotty doing some marketing. It was obvious not far into the poll that it was by a group concerned with the environment - I had thought Greens, but I was wrong.
    Climate change critical issue in Eden-Monaro byelection as six in 10 voters say more action needed by government

The electorate has been hard hit by the bushfires where the PM is weak, but not particularly so by the pandemic where he is much stronger.

ALP are favourites on Sportsbet fwiw.

2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

My only interest in this election is the word Monaro.

Scott No Mates, craigc and Coffee like this.
  3. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

Geoff, I am 'election envy! I would love to live in the electorate that every vote really matters and impacts on the results.

Instead I can not stand the sitting member of the parliament in my electorate. The problem is that I could consider to vote for the party he represents (and had voted in the past) but his personal values are so far from mine that I really feel conflicted. :(

marty998 likes this.
  4. geoffw

Fair enough.

Although with all the pork barrelling accusations (now supplemented by NSW state government accusations) perhaps this should be called a buy election.

Last edited: 26th May, 2020
    Scott No Mates and datto like this.
  5. geoffw

You could always move up here!

You don't have to live in the cold like us, there are some nice spots on the coast.

6. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

I am already packing :D

geoffw likes this.
  7. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

I have that muppet Craig Kelly. People voted for their franking credits last time and it’s a very safe seat. Most people in the electorate have no idea he is a coal loving, divisive, conspiracy theorist.

This garbage on his Facebook page is appalling.

8. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

Kevin Andrews is sitting Member of parlament in my electorate. He is extremely socially conservative e.g. voted against marriage equality, not embracing diversity, shows extreme disloyalty and was one if the mastermind of the coup to oust Turnbull and put Dutton in charge.

Unfortunately his seat is one of the most safest in Victoria, but there is actually pre-selection challenge in his seat organised by the Liberal party. I feel so strongly against him that I am even seriously considering to join in the party, so I can try to vote him out of his seat. I quite like his challenger.

Lizzie, Gockie and marty998 like this.
  9. geoffw

I'll suggest it going to the Libs. It may be after National preferences.

The Libs candidate has been campaigning a lot locally (well, virtually), with mail and phone calls. I'd say she has a lot more name recognition. And I suspect that there's enough kudos from Scotty's handling of coronavirus to reflect on the local candidate - despite his handling of the bushfires which affected the electorate rather badly. But we'll see after the smoke has cleared.

10. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Something I learnt yesterday. There is a suburb called Success and its in the City of Cockburn. North of Success is Cockburn Central.

Real places in Perth.

datto likes this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Well, that's one way to put it. :oops:

12. datto

datto Well-Known Member

The name of certain suburbs can bring tears to my eyes. Especially that C-burn place.

Which reminds me, got to get some fish hooks for next weekend up the coast.

13. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Was he a furniture salesman or such like, in a previous life.

I've had a run in with his fanatical supporters (holy crumbs they're a nasty lot) - while trying to point out some facts to counter their conspiracy theories ... and, I gather, he's one of the back room factional puppet string pullers

"Kelly is considered to be part of the informal conservative right-wing faction inside the Liberal party. He is a self-described "climate change sceptic" and is a frequent guest on conservative-leaning Sky News and other Sky programs"

14. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

yes. Furniture salesman, proud about being uneducated - believes everyone with a university degree is a Marxist (WTF?), climate change denier, seems to generally be against his own government.

Engaged in a bit of race baiting as well with a comment about Coon cheese deliberately written to incite outrage without anyone being able to accuse him of racism.

Ranted about some wind farm development last week because it would “use enough concrete to cover the MCG pitch” and is therefore not renewable. Putting aside the idiocy of a comment like that, why would anyone want to stop $600million of much needed investment in regional NSW?

The stupid hurts so much when I read his page. You can lose faith in humanity pretty fast.

Lizzie likes this.
  15. geoffw

Back on the topic.

50% have prepolled or voted by post, so counting at the booths shouldn't be to long - but the number of postal votes could lead to a delay in results.

Not that anybody cares much. It's not going to change anything much except increase the number of female MPs.

16. Scott No Mates

Anything being said on the exit polls?

GMH should be ashamed of itself for not having named the rebirthed model the Eden Monaro.

17. geoffw

There was a visitor to the polling place when I was there.
    IMG20200704142655.jpg
    Pollies love to visit polling places.

Lizzie likes this.
  18. Scott No Mates

You're such a galah. :oops:

19. geoffw

20. Scott No Mates

The headline left me confused - didn't the locals get ticked off as the PM was overseas on annual leave and the country missed the memo? It would have been a blackburn in this case or possibly heartburn.

I'll have a Bex and a good lie down, afterall it's barely 9am. :p