Economic effects of Covid-19

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by RPI, 14th Mar, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I agree with observation - that is why I have stated that all cafes and other small shops will eventually be run by the big players like Coles, Woolies and Aldi on the current trajectory (for better or for worse).

The Y-man

TAJ likes this.
  2. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    In Adelaide there's already a trend towards that happening. One of the large supermarkets in SA (Foodland) has started putting cafes and sushi stores in their premises.

Edit- Supermarkets are also expanding into meat and bread, which puts pressure on butchers and bakers.

3. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

No doubt that a lot of small businesses won't pull through, but might there be a survivorship bonus? E.g. you are one of three coffee shops on your shopping strip. One goes under leaving, post-Covid, two sharing the custom that was previously shared out between three.

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

My favourite burger place in Chatswood (Burger Patch) is struggling right now - they rely on a lot of lunch trade from nearby office workers which isn't coming because they are all working from home.

They've had to cut back their operating hours and are now only open Tue-Thu for dinner and then Fri-Sun for lunch + dinner.

I have been trying to support them as much as possible because I really don't want them going under - best burgers in Sydney IMO!!

SatayKing and 2FAST4U like this.
  5. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Esp with the tighter restrictions, local takeaway places need help. If you can financially, order more takeaway.

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

I have noticed at least 4 for lease signs in my suburb in the lower north shore. These were functioning businesses prior to this last lockdown.

A lot of people in Sydney are seeking to justify things are okay but this lockdown will end up in a lot of bankruptcies. Victoria's lockdown had the full fed benefits...this one not so much.

Based on what I am hearing on the ground.....it looks like Sydney is about to head back to the future ...2003-2004....

Last edited: 25th Aug, 2021