Technology & Social Media Ebay surprise

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Rockstar, 5th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rockstar

Rockstar Well-Known Member

I'm sure they would be very interested to find out where their phone ended up!:eek:

2. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

The phone has had its own holiday:cool:

3. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

Did you check if their were any contacts in the phone book or saved facebook account?

4. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

All that know me from SS know what my response would be; and here it is as expected....

Buy in Aus at the local retailers and pay a bit more, you won't get scammed and you will keep some jobs in Aus.

No sympathy.

(preparing to get ripped into for being so callous)

5. Rockstar

No contacts. Mainly photos + some music and private videos.
    Another clue from a photo : autodienst-preusser.com - 902050 (signwriting on a car)
    Also there were no photos of Hong Kong so they probably weren't on holidays there when the phone was lost or stolen.

6. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Try and see if you can recover any deleted documents.
    If you need help translating anything that you find, let me know, I'm a NSW accredited translator.

7. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Hehe.....what country speaks NSW?:p

spludgey likes this.
  8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Harsh considering the grossly inflated prices we are often charged in Australia for things technological - downloads of books and music being one glaring example, but also extending to a lot of equipment.

Even buying from an Australian source is no guarantee. Many people are just trans shipping.

9. Bayview

Yes, things are more expensive here.

There are many reasons for that; wages, rent, associated other business costs, providing guarantees and warranties etc, theft, security costs against theft....and so on.

You can go to the store and get action on items when things aren't correct.

10. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Yes, I know this.

But there is also an big element of charging what the market can afford.

That's why music, film, software and film downloads cost more, sometimes substanitally more, than what they cost in some other countries.

And then the profits get shifted out so that minimal Australian tax is paid.

skater likes this.
  11. Bayview

Unfortunately, we have made our bed and are now sleeping in it.

Larger Corps no doubt move profits offshore to minimise tax - but they still pay some tax (quite a lot in actual dollars), and they still employ some people.

The slippery slide we are now on where we are buying more and more directly from O/S will see more jobs in retail, manufacture, and certain services; disappear.

12. Rockstar

Thanks Spludgey, If I get time I might sift through some more. There are some photos of some documents in there that could be interesting to translate. Would be great to trace the owner to find out if the phone was stolen.

13. Rockstar

No worries Mate, I take full responsibility for my actions. Anyway, the phone is in good order so I can use it.

The seller has contacted me through Ebay and offerred to send a replacement. I replied it has to be brand new, unused, unopened as advertised. I demanded a refund if this cannot be achieved.
    Will keep you posted.

14. skater

skater Well-Known Member

This will only get worse when you have large corporations like Ebay and Paypal who give special privileges to their Asian sellers who sell into Australia. There is NO WAY they are being charged the same fees as the Aussie sellers. Add to this the huge postage discounts they receive, and slowly buy surely you will see less online retailers as well, who just won't be able to compete. In fact, you are seeing it now, where some of the smaller sellers are being squeezed out of Ebay. They just can't make a profit.

For instance, I bought a tie from a Chinese Seller. It cost 52c with free postage. Now, if that had been an Aussie seller, the fees alone would have come to $1.75 (Ebay 9% = .046c, Paypal 30c +2.4% = 31c, Postage = $1.40)

15. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

Did you buy this phone from the recent sale event on ebay. If so, I remember seeing that deal posted on another forum which clearly spelt these were grey market phones. Are you sure the phone is OEM ?

16. Rockstar

No mate it wasn't any sale event. It is a Nokia N8. I have had one for about 4 yrs without any probs but the built in battery is starting to fade before the day is out. This phone is very stable and has a great multimedia capability. I rarely use my phone for internet or emailing and never do social media so I don't require any of the new phones.

17. Rockstar

They have sent a new phone along with much apology. I hope it is actually new this time.

18. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

Well, some of you are.
    I refuse to pay double or more for an article I can buy in from OS at a far cheaper price and more often than not have it on my door faster than if it came from inside Australia.

Or, as is the case in a jacket I bought recently from London, far better quality and accurate sizing for a few dollars more. It was landed on my door in 4 days.

19. Bayview

I think you'll find it's folks like yourself who are making our bed.

We all want to buy the cheapest everything, yet want lower taxes, more growth and employment here in Aus. You can't have both unfortunately.

As an Aus small business owner, I am a dedicated business in Aus buyer.

But, good result on your purchases.

Just wondering...when, in the next 10 years half the retail workers in nAus are unemployed as a result of all this; who will pay for their unemployment benefits?

It will be us - in the form of higher taxes of some sort, unless the Gubb start to impose GST on every O/S online sale.

20. Emoi

Emoi Well-Known Member

Rubbish, it is greed of the sellers here, stupidity of the end user and the interweb that caused it .
    Explain if you can why exactly the same things are 100% and more here than elsewhere?
    Many of the items I buy from online businesses are competing with online businesses here, small staff and no shopfront, just 100% or more markup for what exactly?

Our clients are global and know we are property tax professionals. Our advisers are qualified and experienced and we don't outsource. We can help with complex CGT, Income Tax, and Developer issues. Property is our speciality incl Trusts, Co and SMSF