Technology & Social Media Ebay surprise

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Rockstar, 5th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rockstar

Rockstar Well-Known Member

Well I just bought a new phone on Ebay from a Hong Kong Seller with 98% +ive feedback.
    Brand New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item in its original packaging (where packaging is applicable). Packaging should be the same as what is available in a retail store, unless the item was packaged by the manufacturer in non-retail packaging, such as an unprinted box or plastic bag. See the seller's listing for full details.

The phone arrived yesterday (looking very new) and I charged it up. After a few minutes familiarisation I discover hundreds of images, several videos and quite a few songs that had been previously loaded onto the phone. Out of a potential 16GB there was only 5GB of space left on the phone. Could have been a mistake but I'm suspecting foul play.
    Anyone else been scammed like this?
    I've sent a complaint last night but no response as yet.

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I'm on Ebay now looking for phones.
    I noticed some Sellers give a rating for condition, as i understood it they are second hand phones formatted or tweeked to get them in good running order.
    do they sell seconds or refurb phones? Could be a mix up with the ad...or it's been working for them until your one

3. Rockstar

I looked at their listings this morning and they were still advertising as brand new. ie: there were no used or refurbished for sale. Amazingly it is was set to Algerian time and the videos were definitely from a European country. They have 3 days to respond before Ebay steps in on my behalf.

4. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Some of them are counterfeits too. Open a case for 'Item not as described'. If the seller doesn't give you satisfaction you can get Ebay to step in.

5. Jamie_

Jamie_ Well-Known Member

Any...tasteful...images?

6. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I smell a rat...I think you got done for. Unless it's a very very small unheard of manufacturer..

7. Rockstar

Let's see if we can find out the country. Here are some words listed on tee shirts, captions,etc.
    Naschkatze
    Ich habe dich lieb
    Ich habe nur ein Topf getragen
    Zur Querensteder Muhle - Lindenterasse

In the main gallery there was one foul shot of a penis with sunglasses on but most were typical friends, weddings, pets, kids, and a few documents, etc.

I'm sure the previous owner has had this phone stolen or lost it somewhere. They wouldn't of sold it with all of their files left on the phone.
    A bit of a mystery.

8. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you paid by credit card via PayPal you should be able to have it reversed. I would lodge "goods not as described" and start the ball rolling.

9. Rockstar

This is their motto
    we have been an ebay member for only 2 years ,but we have highly Confidence on growth.Absolutely honest/highly trustworthy and customer first are our most immportant rules.Buytra2013 is our facebook id ,welcome to view it!

Feedback is
    9347 positive
    110 neutral
    128 negative

10. Rockstar

Yes I did that last night thanks Wylie

11. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    You will get your money back if not as described, that's the beauty of eBay!
    You could try and negotiate a partial refund if the phone looks good though.
    Then you can just restore it to factory default and get a good phone for a fraction of the cost. Try and find out how old it is, how the battery is.
    If the seller is honest, it could have been a genuine mistake, but given they have 128 negative feedbacks (!!!!) I doubt they are honest here. Even with 10K positive feedbacks, 128 is a lot to have and add to that the 110 neutral

12. Rockstar

Do I have to post the phone back to Hong Kong before getting a refund? Who pays for the postage for the return?

13. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

They are responsible as the item received is not as described

14. Ausprop

Ausprop Well-Known Member

you don't need to pay for anything you buy on eBay unless you feel like it, so just get your money back.

15. Rockstar

They also sent this message just after I purchased the phone. Let's see if they respond.

By the way,the item will arrive in about 30-40 days.It maybe take longer time than your domestic shipping

If you haven’t received your item and this situation lasts to the 40th day, please do contact us. Resend or A FULL REFUND will be issued to you with NO EXCUSE. We do not want to give you a bad buying experience even when the shipping is out of our control.

Thanks once more for your purchase.

16. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

Return the phone with your own photos on it.

17. skater

skater Well-Known Member

This is a concern.

18. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

Stolen German tourists phone!

19. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

This is enough to stop me buying from the listing. You'll get your money back but for me it's not worth the hassle in the first place.

20. Rockstar

I've never purchased anything from overseas before. I wanted this particular Nokia phone but none were available from an aussie seller. I have had my current phone for about 4 yrs and the built in battery is finally showing its age + there is a crack in the screen. It has been a great phone and suits all of my needs - particularly reliability. Since it is an older model the prices have come down a lot so it was only 150 bucks.
    Still no response from the seller. Maybe Hong Kongers have Sunday off too?