eBay seller won’t use PayPal - only wants bank transfer - advice please

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Joynz, 28th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Good idea.

Just talked to ebay and they said they will investigate - but can’t let me know the result!

The seller actually has another phone for sale right now that says ‘PayPal not accepted’ so I’m going to report that too (the phone I bought didn’t say that - but anyway apparently you can’t not list PayPal as a payment method on eBay).

I’ll also leave feedback about the seller. All eBay can do is warn the seller or suspend their account.

Stoffo and wylie like this.
  2. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

Damn vendor lock-in.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I was going to suggest you leave bad feedback but if she has cancelled the sale perhaps you cannot do that?

Have you looked already to see if you can leave feedback?

Mind you, if it is a scammer or has broken eBay rules she won’t probably care as she may likely be banned.

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Yes, I have left bad feedback - but you only get 80 characters - so I wrote: ‘Scammer - refused PayPal; resold phone to another on ebay then cancelled order.’

Also reported the seller for violation of ebay policy for both the phone I purchased and the other one that is being advertised.

I think it’s a man as the other phone is described as belonging to ‘my wife’. Though it may all be made up!

wylie likes this.
  5. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

I used to be a high level seller on eBay years ago, but haven't been in touch with it much lately.
    New sellers used to be limited to a certain selling value previously until they have built up +10 positive feedback to prevent scammers, not sure if it applies anymore.
    Can you provide the item number of that listing, would be interesting to see, but requesting payment via bank transfer only is almost certainly a trap.

6. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Apple iPhone XS Max - 256 GB Space Grey (Unlocked) A2101 | eBay

This is the other listing.
    Actually, I'm going to go with he is a legitimate seller. Just a newbie

He's offered pick up as well. And location.

I'm assuming he doesn't want to pay the almost 3% in PayPal fees on top of his 10% ebay fees so he's said no.paypal, which is against ebay rules.

Could be a stolen item, but if you really wanted it, you'd pick it up with cash

7. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

That listing is up to $1625 this morning, I think I'd just save up a bit longer and buy direct from Apple, XS Max Space Grey 256gb are $2049 brand new, warranted from Apple themselves.

Or get a plan from Optus, $124 per month will get you an XS Max at that spec, 2 yr contract an includes 20gb data and unlimited national calls & texts.

8. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

If you just want an iPhone and want to save a buck, get a brand new superseded one.

Honestly, since the iPhone 6 there is very little difference.

As an example, here's a brand new iPhone 7 from Kogan for $700.

Apple iPhone 7 (32GB, Black) | iPhones |

Lizzie and jprops like this.
  9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Update - seller now sending rude messages in response to my negative feedback including:

New message from: pet-546064 (0)
    Honestly is it because your feedback is not as good I feel sorry for you and I think your a disgusting person I bet your ugly and hope you rot

New message from: pet-546064 (0)

Not to mention I have your address and name Ill visit you shortly with my brothers

Needless to say I have reported these (and a couple of others) to eBay!

10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

You make a very good point. Though I really like the ‘all screen’ of the iPhone X.

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Item number is 383067728430 (for original listing)

Attached Files:

12. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Oh Wow! There's some nutters out there. Don't worry about him, you're in Melbourne & he's in Sydney, so it's not a real threat, but you did the right thing. Maybe even report to the police as well.

Toon likes this.
  13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would agree that you should report this to the police as well as eBay and let him/her know you've done this.

Toon likes this.
  14. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

How much does a new one of those go for? Looking at the link TMNT posted it's now an auction listing with bids going up to $1600.

My guess is they originally accidentally listed with a buy it now price instead of putting it to auction.

And they're tight arses and don't want to pay the paypal fees.

15. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

All thinks considered, the phone is likely stolen, has been 'bricked' and is probably no more useful than a paperweight. You don't want this.

mikey7 and Lizzie like this.
  16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I don't understand why anyone would pay more than $700 for a phone. I get that you have to have an iphone to use with other Apple products (how's that for captured market!) - but to spend the thousands now on offer is crazy.

For the record - I have a android, paid $385 (and thought that was expensive), and my iphone using daughter thinks it's better than hers

17. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

reply back, that you have his address as well

also, if you want to be nasty contact the other highest bidder and tell them whats going on

edit: looks like sellers name doesnt come up any more, suspended?

18. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I bought a Google Pixel 3. I think the list price was about $1200, but with discounts and whatnot I got it for $800.

My main reason for getting it was the camera :)

cheers,
    Inertia.

19. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Yep! Ebay must have got a few reports of them not taking Paypal, and then the threatening behaviour. They want to promote a 'pleasant buying experience', to keep people coming back. This was far from a pleasant experience, & even the dopey bots at Ebay could see this.

Toon and Joynz like this.
  20. justine77

justine77 Well-Known Member

always pay by pay pal and have it sent through post or else if you pick it up pay pal assume you checked every detail and if you find a problem soon after you wont be covered for phones. I've bought phones through ebay quite a few times over the years at good prices with no problems. Even before i knew that i shouldnt pick it up or pay pal wont cover it i've had good experiences. But always check that they have 100% rating. definitely no bank transfers and try not to pick it up or pay pal wont cover any defects you find later.

Last edited: 29th Jul, 2019