eBay seller won’t use PayPal - only wants bank transfer - advice please

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Joynz, 28th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I just purchased a phone on eBay. The seller has asked for a bank transfer - supposed to avoid the $21.86 PayPal fee.

I am worried that if I send the money via bank transfer, the phone won’t be as described or won‘t be sent at all.

What can I do to protect my money? I thought of getting the seller to send a photo of them holding their drivers license?

Or I could offer to split the fee with them?

Any suggestions welcome.

2. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do it. And def a no no on Gumtree....paypal included.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Typically the payment methods available are in the listing.

Did the seller list PayPal and now refuses to accept it? If so, it may be a scam (or just a seller trying to reduce costs, but they should accept the payment format they listed).

Did the seller not list PayPal and you made an assumption? If so, I think you should pay the whole fee if they are agreeable.

4. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Them holding their drivers license will add little value. I doubt police would care about such low value transaction. And even if they do, I would expect a prolonged court process.

I wouldn't accept payment via EFT. But then again, I generally wouldn't mind paying the fee if that is what they are worried about.

5. Laim

Laim Member

If they're a business, preferably with a street address, with thousands of positive ratings as seller and no negatives in the last month's, then it's probably ok. If it's a individual then I wouldn't.

Archaon and Joynz like this.
  6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I thought eBay wouldn't not allow you to list without accepting Paypal? I thought that was brought in when they owned both companies?

I wouldn't use EFT. How much is the phone. The fee seems high?

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

They did list PayPal as a payment method (I think eBay requires it in order to list).

Anyway, I called eBay who advised me just to pay with PayPal since it was an option so I have done this.

Will see what happens. Ebay says that I am completely protected now - both for the phone not arriving or not being what was advertised as long as I make a claim in 30 days.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
    Propagate, jprops, skater and 3 others like this.
  8. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Phone is just over $800. Late model iPhones are pricey!

9. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

EBay and PayPal are really good
    I have just had to call on their gurantee. ..no problems ...only had to wait 14days and my $1.23 was refunded to my paypal account! :)

10. wylie

Then absolutely I think you've done the right thing by using one of the methods stated in the listing.

I bought a phone years ago and it arrived with a big chunk about to crack off the corner. Seller swore blind it was fine when she sent it. I took photos, sent to eBay showing the wear at the crack line, clearly cracked for a long time. I got refunded. Had I not used Paypal, there's no way this angry seller who got caught out would have refunded me. She would likely have been banned from eBay but I would have lost my money if not for Paypal.

11. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice everyone - I really appreciate it.

This is the first mobile phone I’ve bought (got given one and got one from work previously) so I felt a bit like Hansel and Gretel going into the woods and leaving a line of breadcrumbs for security...

The Apple store up the road said they could check the phone for me, so if it does arrive I’ll go and see them.

Archaon likes this.
  12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Tell us the sellers Feedback number, and feedback in the past 30/6months?

Archaon likes this.
  13. skater

skater Well-Known Member

They do. It is against eBay policy to tell people they can not use Paypal.
    You've done the right thing. You will be protected & eBay re now aware that the dodgy seller is not playing by the rules.

14. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Only joined in July. 1 feedback - positive.

There are quite a few phones advertised on ebay by people with no feedback.

The other day I saw a ‘buy it now’ ad for a new iPhone X 250g for $350!

The ad didn’t say if it was unlocked so could be a bulk purchase overseas which might be locked for Australia (I heard this is a risk anyway).

I really wanted that one to be legit, but they didn’t respond to any of my messages about the unlock status...so didn’t proceed. Went with the one I bought this morning, instead.

15. R.C.

R.C. Well-Known Member

You`ve done the correct thing simply clicking pay now via paypal and receiving the Ebay/ Paypal guarantee. A recent account with a FB of 1 is not encouraging, particularly on an $800 sale.

Have had to use the Ebay/ PP guarantee quite a few times over the years and 1000+ transactions. Have followed correct procedure and always received refunds for scammed/ not received/ faulty & misdescribed items. My paypal account is also only linked to a CC that gives further security and cover. Never needed to do any chargebacks with paypal but have had to a few times on AliExpress that doesn`t accept PP. There is no protection at all from an EFT to some unknown account number.

Additionally, the seller has agreed to Ebay`s ToS, which must include PP as a payment method and accept the charges incurred. It is very rare for Ebay to ban unscrupulous sellers since they still make profit from their sales and let them carry on. Paypal refunds are deducted from seller`s PP account, with additional fees, and only when there are no funds remaining and compensation costs PP/ Ebay money will they block/ close seller accounts. Quite unethical really but how it works in practice.

16. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

1 feedback, July Registartion,

definitely a paypal use only situation, no ifs no butts!

wylie likes this.
  17. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Well, I have my answer - the seller cancelled my order after offering it to someone else (they say) as follows:

Im just going to send through the cancel order the 2nd chance has been accepted...’

So don’t buy anything from Pet-546064!

18. wylie

I'd be reporting them to eBay. I don't use it much these days, but I'm wondering if they can do that?

And a new user with "1" feedback might simply be looking for someone willing to transfer $800. They may not actually have a phone to sell. Report them.

Joynz likes this.
  19. jprops

jprops Well-Known Member

On another note, any reason you need an iPhone. Budget phones are getting very good these days. I bought a Moto g7 not long ago for 400 perfectly new, I prefer it over my wife's pixel. Of course it's Android.

20. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Looking for an iPhone because I have an iPad and this syncs to the cloud so I can share texts, phone calls, photos etc between them.

Currently using an iPhone 4 (it was a freebie!).

I agree that there are some great phones around (read lots of reviews) many of which come out ahead of iPhone in cost, camera etc...