Easy install security cameras

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by hash_investor, 9th Nov, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Hi

Has anyone here installed a security camera? I am looking for a cheap one and easy to install. I don't need a lot of points just one pointing to my car parked on the drive way is fine.

Thanks

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We installed Nest cameras after our neighbours were burgled (and started turning our alarm on more regularly). They produce a very clear image and have a night mode as well (less clear obviously, more greys, but still could recognise someone).

I think I paid about $230 each plus the sparkie cost to put in a power point nearby.

It's great but we had them wired in by a sparkie. I get notifications on my phone and email (can choose how I to be alerted).

I know you can get cameras that don't need to be wired in.

3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

100 bucks would buy a hidden camera -none wired that you can just install in a hidden location that scans the area you intend to keep a eye on..I bought one from Kogan on special that I keep in the camper-van and I just put the camera in a tree that scans the camp site ,if someone breaks into the van at least the camera will help push the insurance up the list..btw I have a interest in Kogan that everyone said don't buy any shares ..
    Kogan 25MP Pro HD Trail Camera | Home Security |

4. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

For anyone considering a wired solution, you are better off investing in IP cameras wired to a POE switch than having individual powerpoints installed everywhere. Using a POE switch allows you to put the switch on a UPS (and your recording device such as a NAS) so the cameras can keep recording if the power goes out (such as when a crim decides to turn your power off). Using individual powerpoints each camera need its own UPS which would become costly and difficult to install.

I have 4 Hikvision DS-2CD2035-i 3MP IP cameras. I got them from Ali Express, cost around $100 each and work great with a clear picture both day and night. I use a Synology NAS to record and store footage.

chylld likes this.
  5. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

Easy to set up?

6. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I strongly suggest AGAINST wireless cameras. Make sure everything you have is WIRED.
    It doesn't cost much on eBay to get a wireless disruptor, which is a small battery powered device thieves can carry with them.
    It will disrupt your wireless cameras, wifi, and phone service for a decent radius. Makes wireless cameras useless.

The 'easiest' ones to install are the ones that are powered by the recorder box, so you are only required to run one 'network' cable from the recorder to the camera (not multiple cables per camera).

Just make sure you have a backup battery for the recorder so if a thief turns off your power, the cameras still run. Also, store the recorder in a 'safe' place. And tie off your camera cables to something - if the thief gets a hold of one camera and tugs hard, it shouldn't be able to drag the recorder box with it.

Last edited: 29th Nov, 2018
    Bender12 likes this.
  7. 3rd Drop

3rd Drop Well-Known Member

If you just need one, you can consider Arlo Pro. Totally wireless and battery powered so no cost of installation. Put anywhere you like. Will come with 7 days free cloud back-up. Can be managed from anywhere. you will get email, push message if any movement within the range. It's weatherproof so will work outdoor as well. These cameras have built in speakers so you can talk if you need. I have 3 installed and one in outdoor. Bought them around 18 months back and so far so happy.

8. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

How often are you replacing the battery's in the camera?

9. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

Why not just put up a fake one?

For around 20 dollars all the quality camera makers have a fake which looks like a camera dome and just screws up.

My logic is any burglar will scope an area before they hit it and will be deterred when they see this.

10. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I laugh at some of these - they add a flashing red light to 'add effect', and yet you look at the real ones, and there is no flashing light. So easy to spot most fakes.

11. Davothegreat

Easy enough. I used to run a Windows-based recording program but have been happier with the NAS setup. IP cameras are pretty much all the same to setup. Mount them somewhere, run cable to POE switch, configure the network and away you go.

12. Davothegreat

When real ones are so cheap why would anyone bother with fakes? I live on a t-intersection with a corner shop across the road. People notice my cameras. We've had the police ask for footage several times of random incidents.

13. 3rd Drop

3rd Drop Well-Known Member

They are rechargeable batteries. I need to charge them every 3 to 5 months depends on the usage. Very good batteries indeed!

14. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Just set up a live stream to FB. :rolleyes:

Back in the day of One-Tel, they were the first (& only to offer) unlimited/bucket plans between other customers. Lots of people were using them as free baby monitors.

Last edited: 30th Nov, 2018
    willair likes this.
  15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Where do you find free babies?

16. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Attached to the monitors? Surely you've heard of 'screen babies'

17. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

I was about to suggest the Arlo, but then I read the OP wants a cheap option.
    Very happy with the Arlo myself. It is so easy to use when its needed (in home and away). Once, when needed, all I had to do was share a link with the coppers and they had the video.

3rd Drop likes this.
  18. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

You should start charging for it!

High yield investment

Davothegreat likes this.
  19. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Haven't had any break ins since we put these up :D

Francesco and Bender12 like this.
  20. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Warnings can be pretty effective:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Redwing, Ted Varrick and Bender12 like this.