Easement Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by bhawna, 4th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bhawna

bhawna New Member

Hi All,

I am new to Property Chat and this is my first property (existing House) with the intention to build a granny flat at back and has substantially huge backyard so no problem accommodating a Granny Flat at rear left corner. Now the sewer easement is running at the back on neighbours lot and it is same for the lots next to us.

Will there be a problem if we have to connect sewer line for Granny to the existing junction (at the rear towards right corner) which is in our property? or it needs to be connected to the Sewer line on the neighbours property? I have asked my conveyancer to check for right of easement on neighbours title but worst case if it its there is it too much of a cost to get an easement or getting access to that easement?

Map below from Sydney water with the property highlighted in yellow.

Thanks in Advance!

upload_2021-4-4_16-51-27.png

Attached Files:

2. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

Not sure about Sydney but in most areas you should be able to connect into the existing connection.
    If you can't the connection is made for Sydney Water, on their easement.
    Practically what happens in a new connection like this is the Water authority approved contractor will dig down within your property to the level of the sewer and then dig horizontally to make the connection. There is generally no need to enter the neighbours property.

bhawna and Scott No Mates like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If not sad @bashworth has described the plumber will hook up a new junction on your existing house drainage line if there's sufficient capacity.

bhawna likes this.
  4. bhawna

bhawna New Member

Thank you! That's what I thought as well but my conveyancer got me scared by saying that we will need to give compensation to neighbours as we don't have easement in our side of property.

5. Nita88

Nita88 New Member

Hi.

New to property chat and not being able to start a new thread (must be newbie rules) and hence posting here since it seems to be a similar issue.

We are contemplating buying a established house near a laneway which has a "restriction as to user" along a third of the plot. Council says it is to promote community sentiment and that we cant build anything within a few metres from the laneway; but I can see that part of the structure is already standing there. Am not looking to develop but wondering how much this easement would affect property value in future? Are easements due to existence of an adjacent laneway a major issue?

Thanks