Early 30's and $100k to invest..

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Taco, 28th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. bobbyj

bobbyj Well-Known Member

Anyone know of how Chris Gray is going with the recent Sydney/Melbourne downturn?
    He'd be eating into his buffer and picking up opportunities at this time?

2. APINDEX

APINDEX Well-Known Member

I am sure Chris Gray has done very well out of real estate like many people.. I would love to ask him few questions..

1. This quote is from his website which is a buyers agency business "Our founder, Chris Gray, started really living his dream at the age of 31 when he retired from full time work having started investing in real estate at the age of 22. Before long he started reaping the rewards of those smart money decisions and has never looked back. Since then he has built a $15+ million personal property portfolio and wants to show other savvy investors how to do the same."

Does starting a property buying business mean retiring from from full time work? if anything speaking to the business owners I know they work harder than many employees generally?

2. Would ask him has he made more money from his property investments or businesses the margins/overheads are surely more favourable in his business? Does he have any investors in his property business? How did he get them to invest in an actual business rather than just investing in real estate as he describes the risk in investing in shares (part ownership of businesses) that the risk is they can go to zero? surely the same could be said of his own business..?

Sorry don't mean this post to come off as Anti Chris Gray in any way or any other legitimate property guru type I just often find the narrative around the story "retired at xx from full time work through property" a little misleading

3. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    I am going to go a bit against the grain here, and will probably cope some flak for it, but I think you really should spend just a little bit of time educating yourself about bitcoin and cryptocurrencies. A great resource to start is "The internet of money" by Andreas M. Antonopoulos.

I recommend the audiobook which you can get for free if you sign up to Audible (you can cancel within 30 days if you don't want to subscribe):

The Internet of Money

It's a great introduction and overview, really worth a listen even for those with a good understanding of the space. If you like it, you can also listen to volume 2 (The Internet of Money)

Each take about 4 hrs to listen - easy to get done during your commute.
    Then you can decide for yourself if you want to perhaps have a small allocation (say maybe between 1% and 3%?) to cryptocurrencies for the long term (7-10 years) in your portfolio: the downside is limited to what you have put in, the upside much greater in my opinion, but forge your own.

This is not advice.

4. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

I cannot talk for Chris Gray, I can only talk from my own experiences or those in property that I learn from or what I take out from the video clip I watched.
    I doubt anyone starting any business can just quit full time work.
    I am not sure what you mean by that... these are my only guesses so I think he started perhaps by investing first then he develops or renovates so adds value and then would pull out equity. In addition if he is a buyer's agent he would generate income there, or from his books, or the shows he hosted. Like anyone in property starting out may then publish and share and be directly generating revenues from this field just look at MY or JS or NB or other property investors.
    I think what he meant in the video is that he quit his full time accounting job and switched to property instead but not really retiring from full time work.
    Personally we started out our business in 1995 but I still had a full time job for about a year, after that my accountant suggested I leave the job, for lifestyle and tax reasons and dedicate myself to our business.
    There is a difference between being self-employed and running a true business. In real business you hire and manage other people and have processes in place, you leverage their time, you are able to run the business even though you may decide to travel let's say for a year. And yes you oversee and work very hard in your own business.
    If you are self-employed you need to turn up to work to generate the income, probably the hardest position to be in since you are also then all the departments in one, if you hire additional staff, if you do accounts, if you do payroll, if you pay suppliers, etc....
    I would presume he would make money from his business and in addition from his developments, but then his net worth would be from CG on his investments....? It is very hard to become very wealthy financially just by saving the money, as it is after tax money, any income derived whether from a job, from interest, from yields/rents, from dividends is taxed, whereas Capital growth is not unless you sell the asset whatever it may be. So CG enables growth on growth or compounding effect.
    So most wealthy people realize they make true wealth from CG rather than CF, IMO.
    What I liked about the concepts he presented is that they are so unconventional to property investing, it doesn't mean it is right for you or me but it is worth knowing and learning that there are many ways to invest into property, that's all.
    His concept of renting more expansive properties because of less demand hence less rental yield to pay (say 2%) yet directing the difference to investments with higher yield (say 5%) communicate one such idea.
    I have no vested interest with Chris Gray, I listen to ALL, but then I takeout and apply strategies that suit my investment journey.
    The person asked about a book on rentvesting, well CG is such a person in a way, he rents all his life, yet invests many $ into property.

5. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

When small is a big advantage

Merriman portfolio seeks performance through small cap and value.