Early 30's and $100k to invest..

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Taco, 28th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. PKFFW

PKFFW Well-Known Member

I had read, as it is put in the linked article, that he bet a "portfolio of hedge funds". I took that to mean he bet a number of managers but maybe that wasn't the case.

Either way, if I was a betting man and I had only a 7% chance of picking a manager that would get better than market average returns over the long term, I'd politely decline that bet.

2. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

@PKFFW you are probably right. I had assumed a single fund, and interpreted my own reading that way.

But it is now a done deal.

PKFFW likes this.
  3. devank

devank Well-Known Member

What would be the entry point of these four?

4. geoffw

Those are standard shares, listed on the ASX. You could buy a single share, but the brokerage will make it not worth it.

SelfWealth have one of the cheapest brokerages for a Chess sponsored share transaction - $9.50 regardless of the size.

5. monk

monk Well-Known Member

Think $500.00 is the minimum trade.

geoffw likes this.
  6. geoffw

Ah yes. The ASX minimum trade is $500, which I didn't realise. Thank you.

monk likes this.
  7. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Sorry, I should have been clearer.
    On the 31 of May 2019, the prices are
    MLT - $4.59
    VGS - $72.17
    WHF - $4.65
    VAS - $81.42
    At what price would you start buying?

8. geoffw

Who knows what will happen in the short term? It may be a good time to start buying if that's your time frame, or it may not.

In the longer term, they are more likely to go up than down. A few cents here or there won't make much difference several years down the track.

devank and monk like this.
  9. jimmy

jimmy Well-Known Member

I just buy when I have the money really, it all washes out over time if you dollar cost average

Anne11 and Snowball like this.
  10. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

$100k Vanguard Wholesale
    VGS/VAS 50-80/50-20
    $500/week
    Not advice

Taco, sharon and Anne11 like this.
  11. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

What do you call long term ? Joe Magyer has way out outperformed Buffet in the last 10 years He was recognized as the best performing Analyst in the USA before coming to Australia 5 years ago. and has averaged about 35%p/a returns. He was recommending the WAAAX type stocks then. which even out performed the FANG stocks.

12. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

I don't think any-one is allowed to give advice with out an appropriate licence. But what I am buying tomorrow is more VHT on market as well participate in the entitlement offer which allows holders to buy at discounts which is an advantage I don't think you get with LIC's . I think it is WAAAX and NEA like, and at inflexion point and I will probably buy more AD8 when in comes out of a trading halt.

Taco likes this.
  13. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

Sorry but I would use the approach as suggested in the book below to invest with leverage into IP instead:
    How to Achieve Wealth for Life
    Read and then see if this is the approach for you or your family, it was for us..with two kids too!
    I dabble in shares as my income exercise but invest into passive long term residential property for my wealth exercise. Hopefully this makes sense?

Taco likes this.
  14. PKFFW

PKFFW Well-Known Member

Good on him. However, many active managers outperform for a period of time.

Did you correctly pick him as a manager of funds before he commenced his 10 year run of great performance? And what proof do you have he will continue to outperform from this point forward?

That's the tricky part for the average Joe who wants someone to manage their money for them so they can achieve better than market average returns. Choosing one of the very very very few active managers, out of the thousands around, who will outperform the market average, even for a short time, from that point in time into the future.

Cmelderis likes this.
  15. geoffw

I'm not aware that he outperformed in a single fund in 10 years, especially if he came to Australia 5 years ago. He has worked for Motley Fool since he's been here His two funds in Lakehouse Capital, which is owned by Motley Fool, have performed extremely well, although they haven't been around for too long. One opened in November 2016 and one in November 2017.

Those funds have a minimum investment of $100,000 which put them out of my reach.

16. Synergy

Synergy Well-Known Member

A200 is half the mer of VAS, the extra 100 companies vas hold currently make f all difference.Redirect Notice

17. geoffw

I've seen the argument that, if a company is going to break out (say a ten bagger), it's far more likely to be a small cap company - in which case one of those extra 100 companies (or even a small cap ETF) might benefit.

Silverson likes this.
  18. Taco

Taco Member

Thanks @MWI I've read plenty of property books but never came across this one! Is he a CF positive or negative advocate? I really wish someone wrote a new book that used rentvesting in some of their working examples. The "extract equity out of your PPOR home" examples in all the books look so nice and pretty haha

19. MWI

MWI Well-Known Member

The book doesn't tell you where to invest it illustrates the concept of investing, but in some way could be even applied as rentvesting (since you change to start paying IO on PPOR and direct he principal to one IP), via passive long term investing into just one IP.
    He is an advocate for passive long term investing what you suggested in your thread...? It is an older book but very easily communicates long term passive approach.
    As mentioned there are many ways to invest even into just property so in my opinion there are two main reasons why most Australian investors own 1 or 2 IPs only (this represents 90% of investors!).
    1. Most people don't really understand what they want to achieve from property. When asked that question, replies may be, for retirement, for legacy, for our children, to supplement our income, to have other income, etc....
    But what does that mean? You need to be specific, like when we started out. We wished to replace our incomes and have slightly more, so many years back we decided we wanted to generate $50K gross rent each from out property investing. Once we decide on this figure we than worked backwards to see what asset base we need to grow our portfolio to, even with loans at that stage.
    2. Most people don't really understand or know what property investing strategy they will adopt. Basically how and where and when they will invest? This needs to have at least some clarity, will you buy say within 3 states (SYD, MEL, BRI), within inner or middle rings, this may mean say units in SYD or townhouses with renovation potential, where in inner or lifestyle suburbs, in QLD only houses, with renovation potential....etc... What is your property investing strategy you will adopt?
    If you heard of Chris Gray he did exactly that, he was buying only within few suburbs (inner and lifestyle close to beach), 2 Bed, 2 Bath, 1 Car IPs, with renovation potential.
    I enjoyed his story, he actually never bought his place, he rents, yet invested first, rentvesting. If you haven't heard his story get a cuppa and enjoy his story below:

bobbyj and Anne11 like this.
  20. Joystick

Joystick New Member

You can top up your super to $25k per year and enjoy tax deductions. Downside is you can’t use that money for 30 years