Duplex

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by BarbaraS63, 18th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. BarbaraS63

BarbaraS63 Member

Hi,

New to the group

I’m looking for advice and feedback on duplex builds in Aspendale, Kingston council. Struggling to find a builder that’s is interested. Looking at a 1.2 - 1.4mil build. Anybody built in and around that area?

Thanks in advance

2. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member

Perhaps it’s worth driving around neighbouring Glen Eira and noting the names of builders for projects currently under construction.

BarbaraS63 likes this.
  3. BarbaraS63

BarbaraS63 Member

Yes I've been doing that. I've had 4 meetings with 4 different builders and only 1 has followed up. I quite like his work but would like to really do my homework and find out as much info as possible. I'm getting told different info from each builder on what the council will or will not approve.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Builders don't do approvals, architects/town planners do, so I'd take that with a grain of salt.

What they can advise on will be what is going into those homes - whether it be the number of bedrooms, bathrooms, quality of finishes, inclusions, difficulty of building on particular sites (excavation, retaining walls, footing types, construction methods etc).

5. BarbaraS63

BarbaraS63 Member

Thanks for that. Do you think it’s worth me having a meeting with council. I don’t want to spend 50k on plans to be rold I can’t have the majority of things I want in a home.

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

If you're going to be spending that much money on a duplex then I would probably engage a town planner to assist whoever is designing it (be it architect, draftperson or builder's designer) to ensure that it meets the Council's regulations and policies.

7. BarbaraS63

BarbaraS63 Member

Thank you