Duplex - Subdivision

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Matt Davis, 1st Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Matt Davis

Matt Davis New Member

Hello,

I was hoping for some advice on a duplex subdivision if possible.

My mother in law (on the pension) owns an old home on a large block that we are wanting to knock down, subdivide and build a duplex for us both.

The council allows duplexes in the area and should fit the block restrictions. We have had a surveyor come out and awaiting report but are unsure of how we go about subdividing the block from a finance point of view and also ensuring my mother in law doesn’t loose her pension.

Ideally we would like to buy half the value of the property near market rate for the half of the block we would build on, my mother in law would then use this money to fund the building of her new house.

thanks for your help,
    Matt

2. David Weng

David Weng New Member

Hi, I am also exploring the possibility in the future to build a two storey duplex on my property in Valley View, South Australia. My question is can I subdivide the land without demolition the whole house? There is an old house lying in the middle of the property but I just want to demolish half of the structure and live in it until the new two storey duplex is complete (please view my proposal photo). Is this possible?

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Its unlikely but possible. Council usually requires demolition and site clearance and may not allow a partial demo as then there is no occupancy cert validity. If the old dwelling straddles the subdivision line and is in proximity its highly unlikely due to hazards. Services disconnection and decommision and new connection may be affected too. The development application will address demolition consent and any site specific approvals as well as the new build. If the old dwelling was habitable and away from the construction zone they may add a consent to allow the old dwelling to be demo'd after the new build is given a occupancy cert.

4. David Weng

David Weng New Member

Thank you for your advice. Much appreciated!