Duplex side by side or 2 levels of 1 horizontal each?

Discussion in 'Development' started by big max, 21st Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. big max

big max Well-Known Member

What do you guys think? Is there a rule of thumb as to which is more profitable to develop?

I have my thoughts but interested to hear views.

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Generally in WA if you go on top of each other then it's becomes apartments and is therefore a Class 2 instead of a Class 1 construction and Class 2 is a lot more $$$$.

With side by side you have a firewall down the middle which needs to be rated 60/60/60 but with apartments/Class 2 it's a whole other class of pain - fire engineer reports, exit lights, fire alarms, steel mesh on some windows, acoustic engineering, 90/90/90 fire , more common property, body corporate to maintain the building blah blah blah blah

My advice - don't do it. People want to own land and with horizontal ownership they don't.

3. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Agree with @Westminster .

There's quite a bit of the one dwelling floor plate one above the other
    type of product in the area you are looking to develop. Personally, it doesn't appeal to me.
    I'd rather have a narrower dwelling if I didn't care for much land and at least have a piece of dirt and even space for a small plunge pool (I presume you're looking at doing this with your development) to cool off.

Different kettle of fish of course if you have the land size to cope with parking and can go five or six stories with one dwelling per floor like they're doing on the old Michael Edgely beachfront site on Hedges.

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

At least with 2 S-B-S you both get a view (even if it is of the house next door or street). Horizontal would mean one gets no view at all.

The Y-man

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

If you have 4.5m wide each side you can do an awesome very functional project. How wide is the block?

Perthguy likes this.
  6. XBenX

XBenX Well-Known Member

Id be interested to check out the narrow lot duplex designs