Duplex or 2 investment units???

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Mursa01, 4th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Mursa01

Mursa01 Member

Hi all I'm new to this forum, we have about350k deposit should I buy 2 investment units priced about $450k ir buy and build a duplex site cost $950k build and extras $800 -total $1750, I would live in one and probably sell the other for about 1.2m
    I'm looking at belmore, Beverly Hills penshurst area
    Suggestions welcome

2. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

Hi @Mursa01 - as cliched as it is, what do you want the property do for you? Why buy and hold versus develop ? What skill set are you hoping to gain ? What's your end vision with this portfolio? And what's your biggest aim to achieve with property investing and what will it enable in your life ?

3. Mursa01

Mursa01 Member

We have a good deposit and a lot of income each month so want to try make our money work for us. The main aim is to make as much as possible. We are leaving Australia in 4 years to move overseas so was wondering which option was the best roi

4. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

That's a broad question. You would need to do feasibility for this as opposed to going hard with a set and forget portfolio. A development will give you a lot of hands on experience, however if you end up with just a 1.2mill property, then I would think, it won't give you the same leverage a potential portfolio could. Again, will come down to whether this is a wealth building exercise or a home you want to come back to also.

5. Peter88

Peter88 Member

I'm in a similar boat, however I haven't considered units simply because of body corporate fees. I do like the rental returns on duplex's, I'm in the process of just learning more, and of course biggest concern is capital gains growth as duplex would only be suitable mostly to other investors.