Duplex - fast-track approval by private certifier with CDC from 07/2018 in Parramatta NSW area

Discussion in 'Development' started by MeMore, 10th Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MeMore

MeMore Member

Hi all,

I heard from 07/2018 onward we could engage a Private certifier for Complying Development Certificate to build Duplex instead of the usual full DA from council?

Also instead of restrict by FSR 0.5:1, it could calculate base on 300sqm + 25% of the land size for Duplex?

Has anyone heard anything about that?

SmileSydney likes this.
  2. SmileSydney

SmileSydney Well-Known Member

Hi MeMore,

I spent this morning reading up on the new building code "Low Rise Medium Density Housing Code". You need to make sure all the criteria is satisfied.

Have a look at this: Medium Density Housing - Department of Planning and Environment. Refer to page 35 for building envelope code.There are other criteria but that's the main one.

How big is your land and what is the frontage?

Sackie likes this.
  3. SmileSydney

4. MeMore

MeMore Member

Thank for the link .... :)
    My block is on 670sqm with 15 meters frontage.

Sounds my land should fit fast track complying development approval right?

5. SmileSydney

There's actually better news if your land size >= 600 and frontage >= 15m. You can build what the code calls a Manor House... .e.g 4 x 2 bedroom flats.

Esh and krispy like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Ill conceived concept or goldmine?

Is this heading back towards the 1980's with a free for all on duplexes? The issue being that local infrastructure needs amplification to handle the additional demand (1-3 additional dwellings on each development site).

What does that mean for roads, public transport, water/sewer, stormwater, power, NBN/copper, gas etc.

You're sitting pretty If you can get finance (4 units is still at residential rates).

Increased supply may drive rents down. (affordability strategy), drive the construction sector etc.

The policy will require closer scrutiny to determine the real upside eg: are they subdivisible or purely for the build to rent market? What strings are attached?

7. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

@krispy this post might interest you. :)

8. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Is there demand for duplex in your area? 4 bedder or 5 bedder?

9. MeMore

MeMore Member

Most of the Duplex in our area is 5 bedder, the one in 4 usually selling in lower price \ less rental. With the new building code maybe 6 bedder become the new trend.

10. krispy

krispy Well-Known Member

Thanks Larry, Yes i did see that earlier this week. There is a big demand for these in our area with unit blocks taking over and not much at all in the house/duplex market. More families are moving into the area as well. Light rail station will be a street away from us to major hospital and uni. We have close to the same size block in Parramatta as MeMore but was looking more at a NGBH on a commercial loan. Our problem is finance for anything now is impossible as we have not developed before. Maybe a 6 bedder duplex could also be a good option to turn into a BH ? Thats 12 rooms that can be converted back when /if you sell ?

11. Candlebark

Candlebark Well-Known Member

Very interesting to see what NSW is up to. Thanks Smile.

Wonder if Victoria will follow their lead on Code based Assessment. In July 2017 they promised a Code Assessment for multi-unit public housing- so far nothing has been released. But I guess the planning crew at DELWP has been kept pretty busy on all the infrastructure projects needed to pork barrel the upcoming election, so its probably on the back burner........

12. MeMore

MeMore Member

Are you planning to build & sell or build & hold? If you planning to sell both after build then the total selling price might be around the same give or take.

If you planning to keep both (or sell 1 and keep 1), it also need to consider the stage of your investment journey which weather you after cash-flow or Capital growth?

Form my opinion, duplex will have better Capital gain with more land value ratio, and MH will get more rental income I suppose.

krispy likes this.
  13. krispy

krispy Well-Known Member

I would build and hold. Its a PPR right now. Live in one and the other as a business. When kids finish school in 8 years rent out both. I have been playing around with figures though since I posted. We are looking at retirement / development up the coast in the next 10 years and we might be better off holding onto the land value like the rest of our block is and selling as a group to a developer. I have some homework to do.

Last edited: 11th Apr, 2018
  14. Rowan

Rowan Well-Known Member

I want to find someone to look at my house to see if a CDC is possible. Is a Private Certifier the right person to engage? Are there currently Certifiers who know the new CDC well that you know?

Rajib likes this.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.