Duplex Development

Discussion in 'Development' started by SamT, 14th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. SamT

SamT Member

I have recently sold a commercial property and have a fair bit of cash sitting in term deposit. Looking to do something with and leaning towards a duplex development in Sydney

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Have I missed the boat? Is it still a profitable exercise?

2. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Yes there are still profitable opportunities to do this. Be conservative with your end product valuation and make sure you're not exposing yourself to an area with high supply.

3. SamT

SamT Member

Do you have any areas in Sydney that you would suggest??

4. Rowan

Rowan Well-Known Member

@Meristone posted a great case study here: NSW Leichhardt Duplex Development - case study

To me it seems upmarket suburbs where land supply is low can give you good margins through good and bad cycles if the final product matches the market. The downside of course is the large cost of acquiring land in upmarket suburbs though I'd imagine there wouldn't be as much competition from other small developers for that same reason.

Mel Morgan likes this.
  5. Mel Morgan

Mel Morgan Sydney Property Manager Business Member

I still see opportunities out there, but agree with @Rowan that it needs to be in a high land value area. Unfortunately for those starting out, the lack of experience makes it harder to spot good deals and minimise the risk. The sydney market is also a concern but more resiliant in these areas.

I'm half eyeing a duplex site now, but lack the funding. Maybe you should be considering a JV :D