Duplex Development

Discussion in 'Development' started by Property101, 25th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Property101

Property101 Well-Known Member

Hello,

Sharing to gain insight and learn from others.

I have previously built two PPR...so I am familiar with the building process but this time I am embarking on a new unfamiliar area to me which is Duplex building.

After searching the market I have choosen the builder.

* First problem and I have had previously block is just a little bit small for the entend build ( I was referred to council.
    * Second problem...apparently with duplex build you apply to council for strata after....(so worried about being denied then at later date having to sell the two as a parcel which I don't wish to do)

Also worried about setting up strata and costs etc...

This is my planning so far...reluctant to build a single residence as location is sort after and more profitable for me this way as duplexes will be 4 bedroom each...so basically two homes on one site.

Thanks for any input.

2. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Hi @Property101 and welcome. :)

A bit more detail would give you some better answers.
    1. It sounds like you're considering built-strata as opposed to a survey-strata, any reason why?
    2. Which local council are you dealing with?
    3. What size is your block and what is the R-coding?
    4. Did you get house plans drawn first without talking to a town-planner?

Here's a thread about a duplex dev done by one of our forum members @devank , with the assistance and expertise of another @Westminster.. Might pay to have a read through it, and other development threads for Perth.

Perthguy and devank like this.
  3. Property101

4. Property101

Thank You very much.

All I have done so far is pic the builder...that took long enough.

Appreciate your input will look at the thread suggested with much interest.

5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Problem 1: do you mean that the design is too big ( over site coverage) or your block isn't big enough???

Problem 2: as part of applying for Development Approval the council will require to know where strata boundaries are etc and by approving agree that they will approve the built strata at the end. Providing you build it as per the DA design. If you change anything you need permission/ amend the DA with Council.

Perthguy likes this.
  6. Property101

7. Property101

Thanks for your interest and time.

Council require 742sqm....block is 550 sq m

Wide is 14.90m and builder requires 15.2m for duplex.(assume builder could be able to reduce size)

This is my first problem.

With my first build I was 15sq m of being able to put two homes on land since then council has reduced there requirements.

There is no hurry to build so I can sit and hold.

So I am reluctant to move ahead because things may again change with this council.

8. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

Hi @Property101 I am not an expert at all but a beginner. However your stats are still confusing.
    The first and most important information is which R-Code your property is. You will need to go council website and look for intramaps or city maps or something similar.
    Also see the attached picture below.
    I don't understand how you came to this ......"Council require 742sqm....block is 550 sq m"
    Also I would like to know which builder you picked? I am also looking for one.

Attached Files:

9. Property101

10. Property101

When I rang the builder they told me the council require the land to be 742 square metres to be able to build the duplexes.

My land is 550 square metres.

Its a normal residential block don't know what an R-Code is.

Building before no one mentioned this to me.
    We picked the builder, design...made sure it would fit the land and that was it.

11. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

Hi @Property101 just to let you know your quoting of someone's message and your replies are coming as separate posts. As you are new to this forum, I thought I will explain this. The best way is just hit reply, and start typing your message after the lines that have been inserted in the writing box. This will work if you are quoting the whole message by someone.

Property101 likes this.
  12. Property101

Thank you...I have two pages of Property Chat open so I don't miss someone online responding to me...that's what's happened...thanks for making me aware...sorry for being confusing.

13. zac101

zac101 Well-Known Member

Okay obviously you are not new to building, but you are new to development. You need to bring yourself quickly up to speed with reading R-codes from WAPC.

Because you were building before but not developing.

Property101 likes this.
  14. Property101

15. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

http://www.planning.wa.gov.au/dop_pub_pdf/State_Planning_Policy_3.1-Residential_Design_Codes.pdf

That's the link to the Residential Design Codes for WA. aka R-codes. These come from the WA Planning Commission otherwise known as WAPC. Any subdivision other than built-strata needs to go through WAPC for approval.

Table 1 on page 59 shows the requirements for subdivision. If your block is 550sq.m then you'd need to be zoned R35 or higher in order to meet the average lot size requirements.

Where is your block?

16. Property101

Thanks for the upload.

I haven't meet with my builder yet...but I assumed once I picked the builder they would handle all the requirements for me.

So I think I need to meet with them first...with my documentation.

They have already told me I need to ring the council...so I have to do that.

Looking at it and knowing that my land is not suitable due to size and what I have been informed here today I may need to have the land rezoned...etc.

So I guess there is a lot more work for me.

I am looking at a 5 year time frame....or

I could build a medium price home with granny flat which would be quick build and up and running within a two year period.

This may be a better alternative...much cheaper as well.

or

Another alternative...go to a town planner and see what they can do with the land.

Thanks for your input Phase2

Last edited: 25th Mar, 2017
    Perthguy likes this.
  17. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Or spend a bit longer here and get some more ideas from other PC members. We love talking about this stuff.. :)

How do you know that land isn't suitable for a sub-division? Don't believe your builder. They may not have a clue what they're talking about. In fact, given the minimum land size they specified of 742sq.m I'd say that they probably don't.. Same with the block-width (frontage) that size they specified, that makes no sense either.

Property101 likes this.
  18. Property101

Yes I intend on spending more time on here...learning a lot already.

Probably why I am so questioning now... as my last build left me with a tonne of land at the rear of the property and a big mow because I wasn't able to build two homes on the land.

I do appreciate any info shared as they are good leads for me whether I can ultilize info or not... either way is a help.

Hoping to document everything to be of interest and to help others.

After my first build and all the mystery was removed its good to go in more confident and aware.

19. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I've sent you a private message where you can tell me your address and I'll let you know what zoning it has and if it can have a duplex on it.

Perthguy likes this.