Duplex Budget in Sydney

Discussion in 'Development' started by Lawrikeet, 5th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lawrikeet

Lawrikeet New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some feedback on a Sydney duplex budget I've compiled to make sure the costs are reasonably accurate. I'm new to building and have no construction knowledge or experience, so I've been lurking in forums and doing some research to pull together this budget. I'm hoping to get a good understanding of the potential costs before I start talking to my Bank and engaging an architect.

Some points of note:

• The Sydney block is ~660sqm with a 15m frontage, and Council has a FSR of 0.5:1
    • There's a sizable easement (stormwater drain) cutting diagonally through the land. The easement is 10' wide easement and council engineer guesses it would be ~90cm diameter and ~38m long. We would redirect the easement along the side barrier (say 35m) and then frontage (say 15m) to allow us to build the duplex. The council engineer believes we would be able to reduce the width of the easement so it won't have a major impact on the width of the duplex. This is probably the biggest unknown to us as I have heard anything from 80-120K for this type of job.
    • The land is flat but contains alot of trees. Five or six of them are 10-12m+ and I would assume we would need to remove most of them
    • Haven't done a soil test/contour survey yet but contract indicated soil type is class 5 acid sulfate which is common in this area and many duplexes have started popping up. There is a bit of rock sticking out the back so it's possible that may add to the site costs
    • Aiming for medium-high standard

Any helpful feedback would be greatly appreciated !

Spreadsheet is-
    Sydney Duplex Budget v5.xlsx

Thanks

Shahin_Afarin likes this.
  2. The_Billy

The_Billy Well-Known Member

Cannot comment on the entire feasibility as I haven't reviewed it all, but I have started shopping around for preliminary prices on a duplex feasibility I am doing.

See attached response from a builder I approached via email and they gave this feedback on the build cost only:

Stage 3 Construction Works:

Note: I have assumed a maximum floor area of 380m2 based on the size restrictions on the site and factoring council requirements such as front and rear setbacks and a 40% soft landscape requirement. The rate includes full turnkey solution includes:

• Standard site costs and site establishment
    • Demolition of the existing house
    • Concrete slab on ground
    • Brick veneer construction
    • Floor finishes of mix of tiles and carpet
    • Bathrooms with wall tiles to ceiling level
    • Kitchens Laminex with 20mm stone bench tops
    • Standard light fittings and electrical
    • Kitchen appliances
    • Bathroom fittings including free standing baths, Laminex vanities with quartzstone tops, Stylus taps, semi frameless shower screens, close coupled toilet suites
    • Driveways
    • Basic landscaping includes turf, clothes line and letterboxes
    Total Estimated 380m2 x $1590/m2 = $604,200 + GST

3. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Is the build in Sydney?

4. Bwinny

Bwinny Well-Known Member

Cost sounds reasonable if in Sydney? "I am in!" ;-)

5. The_Billy

Yes, penrith council area.

6. Bwinny

Bwinny Well-Known Member

Sounds like a reasonable price at $1,590 per sqm?

7. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

Awesome job on the feaso as those numbers and level of detail look great. The overall cost for construction is around $3k per sqm turnkey which is good.

8. The_Billy

I don't know to be honest, it does on the outset but I haven't shopped around too much. Similarly I work in construction and I know there is a lot of meat in that rate. I have done an extension for a family member as an owner builder and pulled a 130 m2 single story extension through at $1050 per m2, however we did do timber framing, painting, floors, architraves and doors our selves so saved a bit of money, also there were a lot of cash components as well. It's is really hard to compare this rate versus the above as they are just not apples for apples. Given the $1590 includes demolition and landscaping, this seems pretty sweet.

9. sofman

sofman Active Member

Hi There ,

This pricing is very good - is it a project builder ? I would like to find out more if your willing to share.

Cheers

John

10. Zacbaba

Zacbaba Member

hi everyone
    I am planning to do a duplex development
    negotiated a price with a builder two units to be done by 1.2m- both over 50sq
    after council assessment and review of design- it is now sitting at 38 sq each
    in original contract there was no mention for sqm pricing- just a plain price of 1.2 for both units incuding everything except landscape and drive ways
    I am meeting the builder to discuss this point of the reduced foot print of over 24%.
    I am not sure how he would respond and wonder is there any suggestion or strategy

cheers
    M

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.