Dun and Bradstreet: wrong person

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by TMNT, 31st Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

just curious

got a text msg,
    it basically says "dear joe blogs, we have an urgent matter to speak do you about, call xxx, quote yyy"

now im not joe blogs, and ive been a good boy paying my bills,

should I be worried, not sure why its my number

ive read that if its some silly debt like a video store rental from 20 years ago that I did return the video but they cant find it, and send it to debt collectors its best to ignore and not accept liability by admitting to even going to that video store

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

It's probably a scam. Ignore it.

Jennifer Duke likes this.
  3. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

For starters, never call them back on a number they provide - always look up the contact information from their website or similar and use that for contact - could be a scam.

4. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Also - D&B would never be likely to send you an SMS ... they would probably send you an actual letter by post.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I got one of these a few months ago. I called the company from my home phone (silent number so they cannot see who is calling) and asked some questions. I was careful about not giving them too much information about me, but enough that they told me the text had been sent to my number in error. I wasn't game to just ignore but wasn't going to reply via my mobile.

Edit: As Simon has replied, I looked up the number online and called it. Wasn't game to reply to the one in the text or reply from my mobile phone.

6. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

There's also a scam where if you call back you are put on hold and you are charged a squillion dollars per second. I had a missed call once with a weird area code and googled it and that was the explanation. If it's genuine they would provide more info. Definitely sounds like some kind of scam.

Gockie likes this.
  7. House

House Well-Known Member

Not even the courtesy to harass you with a phone call. Rude!

I'd wait until they're more professional in their approach and do nothing until then.

I did get a letter from them before claiming the ATO has requested they recover a debt so called them up and they had no record of it, even their own reference number :rolleyes: ATO also didn't have any idea about it.

8. House

House Well-Known Member

There was a story a few years ago about a guy who got so fed up receiving sales calls that he set up a reverse charge phone number and put the number out there. Charged 20c/min to happily listen to them drone on :D

Edit- found a similar story in the UK
    How one man turns annoying cold calls into cash - BBC News

"Once he had set up the 0871 line, every time a bank, gas or electricity supplier asked him for his details online, he submitted it as his contact number."

Last edited: 31st Mar, 2016
    neK and Ambit like this.
  9. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Veda did this to me recent. I applied for a copy of my own credit file and then I received an SMS asking me to call the number. I googled and found out it was Veda. I then called up and got a voice menu. Eventually someone with a philipino accent come onto the line and basically asked me why I requested my credit file - perhaps I was going to apply for a loan... It was a sales pitch.

10. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

oops, sorry just noticed my thread got replies,

yeah the number is 1300082441, so its dun and bradstreet

however since the name is totally wrong, I assume mistaken idenity, so ill likely to ignore,

thank you

11. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

I once got a postcard kind of thing in my mailbox asking me to call a number urgently. They gave me a reference number to quote and told me it was very important to avoid the fine.
    So I called them & quoted the reference.
    Then the lady on the phone asked my date of birth to confirm my identity.
    I asked her which company she works for and she said she can't disclose it before she identify me.
    I said go #$#& yourself and hung up. :D
    Scammerso_O

12. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

D&B are the debt collectors assigned to collect debts on behalf of Department of Human Services (Centrelink)

13. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

D&B also use these calls to solicit rubbish. If they have your name and number they have an address and would send a letter. D&B are not appointed by Human Services or ATO until after several unsuccessful attempts directly. If you have MyGov login and check. If no issue ignore it.

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.