Dumping six months' worth of repayments into a P&I fixed rate loan

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by wylie, 9th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I have a Westpac P&I loan, fixed for two years, and I believe I can deposit up to $30k extra repayments into that loan during the fixed term.

Instead of moving funds to that P&I fixed rate loan each month before the loan repayment due date, if I transfer funds to put the loan six months in advance, will that lump sum actually save me any interest.

2. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Sorry, this doesn't answer your question, but please check if it is 'total amount allowed to repaid, before the fixed rate expires' or is it 'an allowable extra deposited amount, each month, which would add up to $30K when the fixed rate expires'.

My fixed loans allow me to deposit up to an extra $500 per month, without incurring any additional fees - that means I can pay up to $6K per year in extra repayments, without a penalty. But I know I can't make a one-off $6K lump sum payment - I'd cop a horrible fee on that (as it is % based, on the amount over the maximum $500 extra per month, that has been paid).

3. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

A fixed loan can't use its own redraw for the repayments. Many fixed loans don't even have a redraw facility.

Granted there may be a loophole in Westpac's accounts that might actually prove me wrong as they do have some transactional ability in their variable loans. I've never tried this with fixed loans though and with most lenders it definitely won't work, you'd waive goodbye to those extra repayments.

4. wylie

Ok. Thanks @KayTea and @Peter_Tersteeg.

I've dumped extra funds into loans when we've been going overseas, enough to cover the payments while we are gone, but I don't want to tempt fate by getting it wrong.

So I'll leave things alone. :)

5. wylie

Having a rethink about this answer...

I don't think I'm redrawing. Each month, sometimes three weeks before the due date, I transfer enough funds to cover the loan repayment. In internet banking in shows up in the "available" column. On the date the payment is due, it disappears from the "available" column and goes off the loan balance.

I've never set up automatic payments for any of our loans because I prefer to pay them when it suits me, and that often means I move funds to the loan and it sits in the "available" column until the bank uses it to make the monthly payment.

Last month, for one of our fixed P&I loans I already had enough for next month's payment and accidentally transferred another month's worth. So, clearly Westpac has no problem with be being ahead by a month or two.

One IO loan I've paid in advance for a whole twelve months and the "available" just gets smaller as each monthly payment goes across to the loan.

But I've had other issues with Westpac over many years, so perhaps I'll not tempt fate.

6. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

It would make me quite nervous. Probably best to contact Westpac and ask directly about this.

Even if they say it's okay, I'd start with a small amount (just the next repayment) and see what happens. If that works smoothly, then perhaps commit the rest?

7. wylie

Thanks Peter. Right now I have two months dumped into one fixed P&I loan. In two days one payment will come out and this happens with all my loans every month.

When we went overseas for two months last year, at least one loan was already P&I and I dumped three months in at that time into all our loans with no issues.

To be honest, I could call the bank, but I've spent most of 2018 holding on with Telstra :p and I don't think I could make a call to a bank right now.

8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Interest is calculated daily on most loans so this should save you interest.
    But it is not the same as prepaying the interest. You will still need to make monthly repayments each month.

Marg4000 likes this.
  9. youfoundtheplot

youfoundtheplot Active Member

I had the same question as you but with NAB.

I rang them up to discuss and they informed me to have read of this

Understanding economic costs on a fixed rate loan

Different banks and products will have different rules but best option is to call them up and get the information direct

10. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Hugely different even. Its almost a sub market :)

fixed rate loans vary from tiny little extra repayments allowed during the fixed term to 100 % offset and fully pay down with unlimited redraw

typically, many of the smaller lenders have the best flex in additional repayment options

ta
    rolf

11. wylie

Thanks all. In my experience I've dumped two or three months' worth of repayments into loans with no issues. But my loans are changing from IO to P&I and that makes a difference I believe.

The loan I accidentally paid two months into had one monthly repayment taken from "available" a few days ago. Next month's repayment is sitting there still.

I've not been charged anything so far on these loans and one IO loan I pay a whole year in advance (NOT prepaying interest, documented etc - just put a year's worth of repayments into the loan which is drawn of month by month).

I can call the bank, but the pain of going through having hubby identify himself isn't worth it. I'll keep all funds in the offset and just put enough into the loans to cover our overseas trip.

12. Terry_w

You should be able to set it up with the bank so that you have authority to check his loans and speak on his behalf. This is why I have done with my wife's loans so she doesn't need to give me permission each time.

13. wylie

I’ve been told we can go into a branch and they will set us up under the business area of internet banking, allowing me to discuss the two loans I currently cannot discuss. I was told (several times) I can do nothing over the phone, and we cannot simply have hubby sign something to allow me to discuss all of our loans.

I also was advised to be very sure to include all loans and accounting to this new “business” set up to ensure everything is included.

Knowing how “hit and miss” our bank has been with failing to deduct documented prepaid interest almost every single year we have arranged it, we decided not to risk making any changes. Goodness knows - we could end up worse off.

KayTea likes this.
  14. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Glad to see that I'm not the only one that has had the bank make such monumental stuff ups with their paperwork and transactions. While trying to get new loan docs set up a few years ago, I had to send them back for 'fixing' three times before they got it right. I think they put the work experience kid onto my loan. I was not happy - their stuff up would have cost me thousands each year, and once I'd signed the paperwork, they would have said, "oh well, you signed off on it, so you must have agreed to it". :mad:

15. Terry_w

Actually I think we might have done it in branch too

16. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Take care with making a lump sum repayment. The bank can zero out the amount received in advance. This can occur at the date of the annual package fee for example. In that case they will then ask for the monthly repayments you already made. I had that happen a few years back. There were a few issues that cause them to reset in advance balances.
    - Annual package fee date
    - New borrowing
    - Renewed fixed rate terms
    - Variation to loan for any reason

I had all hell trying to get Westpac to fix what was very apparent.

wylie likes this.