Dumb and irrational statements surrounding the election

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Angel, 25th Jun, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Downside of compulsory voting, which I was far more positive about before I moved to Australia. In UK this sort of campaigning is as likely to persuade people to stay home rather than vote.

2. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

All of the dumb and irrational statements I have heard so far have generally been from when a politician has their mouth open

kierank, Angel, Player and 1 other person like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The mere fact that political adverts are exempt from the truth in advertising legislation says it all.

THX, Bayview and kierank like this.
  4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I have a friend who I thought was quite opened minded, he does a lot of outdoor adventure stuff, teaches people to abseil, leads people for canyoning expeditions, bush adventures, leads bike rides, very environmentally friendly etc but to my dismay it turns out he is supporting a political party (and trying to recuit others to help their cause) because this group is anti gay marriage. Just so sad.

Last edited: 26th Jun, 2016
    sanj likes this.
  5. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Remember the greatest election cleansor:-

"All generalisations are stupid!"

and then don't vote for them.

6. Scott No Mates

Just because he's outdoorsy and likes wide open spaces doesn't mean that his mind follows suite. ;)

Fred Nile is preferenced by one of the majors - review your preferences and give some of the minor parties a crack in the Senate - Cyclists/Scientists Party, pro-euthanasia party, arts party etc or whatever floats your boat.

This year's Senate paper with 6 above or 12 below the line made me more critical than having to do '1' or all 257 candidates.

Last edited: 26th Jun, 2016
    sanj and Gockie like this.
  7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Cracker on TV last night. Malcolm Turnbull claiming only the coalition can deliver a stable government. Because rolling a first term prime minister and calling a double dissolution election seems like stable government?

ellejay and Scott No Mates like this.
  8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I recall hearing on TV ages ago but I don't remember where. Insiders maybe? That the Senate deliberately stuffed around so that there would be a DD and they would all have to lose their seats and collect their Super under the old scheme. Apparently the new scheme starting 1st July is not as generous. If so, then why wasn't the election last weekend instead?

Perthguy, Gockie and Ardi like this.
  9. Arnoldus

Arnoldus Well-Known Member

There's quite a few locals here who insist on voting with a pen, just in case someone changes their vote. :rolleyes:

Angel likes this.
  10. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Do you have a link? I haven't heard anything about changes to pollies super. The scheme changed from the wildly generous defined benefits one over 10 years ago. Any politician elected after 2004 get's the same accumulation scheme as everyone else (albeit their employer pays a bit more than most).

11. Perthguy

Well my dumb quote for the day is the AEC advertisements claiming that you have to number 1 to 6 on the senate paper. Technically this is true, however if you put a 1 in one box, your vote can still be counted if your intentions are clear and there are no other errors on your paper. The whole system is confusing and there is talk of a challenge after the election.

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

No I haven't heard anything for ages. Maybe the legislation didn't go through to become a real law and it was only a proposal from previous (2014 or 2015) budgets. I thought the Pollies' Super was changed a couple of years ago. It is still way too generous for my liking. Maybe those of you who saw me ask Mr Shorten the question when he was at Redcliffe RSL a few months ago can remember his answer. I didn't hear anything as I was too busy trying to stand up straight and trying not to wobble in my high heels.

Perthguy likes this.
  13. Perthguy

Here is my hilarious quote for the day:

There is a fear of strategic voting, where supporters vote Liberal in the lower house but for another party in the Senate — as one Liberal put it, to “provide some protection from the Liberal government”.
    Nocookies

That's exactly how I feel. I feel we need to be protected from a coalition government! :(

14. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

That was the thinking for some Brexit voters. Look how that turned out.

HUGH72 likes this.
  15. Ed Barton

It's one above the line or 6 below for it to be a valid vote. It's scandalous that the AEC is promoting this absolute lie.

Here's some more detail:

Perthguy likes this.
  16. Ed Barton

How can you know it is too generous if you have no idea what it is?

sanj likes this.
  17. Perthguy

I will scratch around and see if I can muster up the motivation to vote for six parties above the line.... wow! 31 parties above the line!

Ouch... not pretty. 24 are a definite "no". 4 are a "maybe". 3 are a "yes". So if I combine my 3 "yes" with 3 from "maybe", I can scrounge up 6. Grim pickings :(

18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Good point.:oops:

We had a class discussion at school last year with the year 10s around the Parliamentarians' remuneration and we got the students to research various facts from the ABS website. Is it true that departing Members, after two terms, can receive their parliamentary pensions immediately whereas the rest of us have to wait until we reach a certain age? So not only do they get a higher % of their salary (that bit I recall Mr Shorten saying) paid in by their employer than we get (asaiaa), but they can usually access it straight away.

Last edited: 28th Jun, 2016
    Perthguy likes this.
  19. Ed Barton

All good. It can be difficult to get information. Google doesn't do well with searching govt websites and the govt release info on line in a format that is difficult to search.

I doubt the ABS, or their website would provide any information on pollies remuneration. I can't find it. If you're a teacher then I believe you set your students a question that they can not possibly answer.

I believe that is so for members and senators elected before 04. After that they face the same preservation limits as the rest of us (ie they must wait till 55-60+ based on their birthdate to get their hands on the loot.)

They do get a higher % of their salary contributed to us, but only commensurate with public servants, uni staff etc. Not every organisation makes the min super contribution. No, they can not access it straight away.

Angel likes this.
  20. Scott No Mates

Wasn't Bill O'Chee one of the youngest 2 term pollies who was able to bail and get a life pension of around $100k/yr for life?

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia