Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Ducted gas heating - add aircond or rip it out?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by mini2, 21st Jan, 2016.

1. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

So I've got this relatively old ducted gas heating in the house and there's no aircond in there though.

Am I better off ignore the existence of that ducted gas and just install splits around the house than to get one of those ducted gas air conditioning add-on? My dilemma is the cost - quoted $5k add-on installed but getting couple of splits installed is around the same figure.

Opinions? Thanks fellas :)

2. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

I'm not a fella but perhaps it would help to know where the property is located? How old is the ducted gas heating system?

If it's in Darwin then yes to the air con. If it's in Hobart then no.

3. Rugrat

Rugrat Well-Known Member

If its going to cost the same either way then get the ducted. So much better.

We only have ducted heating in our ppor. Its 5 years old. We are currently debating the same issue. Only we are planning on adding an extra story to the house in about 5 years, and will probable rip it all out then and put in ducted reverse cycle. In the meantime we want some kind of aircon but will probably go the cheapest option. Probably just the wall units and we can sell them again after.

4. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

The property is down in Canberra. The ducted gas is about 10 years old but with gas prices going through the roof, that thing in itself is becoming a little redundant.

Going to get individual splits for each room and then a larger one in the living room. Those multi-head splits are more expensive than single headed ones and installation costs are dearer as further the rooms are from the compressor, more time and material to install them. Plus doing it one by one doesn't hurt the wallet as much.