Ducted evaporative cooling systems

Discussion in 'Development' started by Eug, 16th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Eug

Eug Member

Hi all,

I was hoping for some advice on whether installing a ducted evaporative cooling system is the way to go in comparison to other options such as split system cooling.

Some background: I am currently doing a feasibility on building double-storey townhouses in Belmont (one of the suburbs of Geelong). I intend to keep all townhouses to rent out for the long term.

Cost is a consideration in that I do not want to spend as much as for a ducted air-conditioning system, but I want to balance that with cooling effectiveness for the warmer months. I have read that evaporative cooling systems are not effective in the height of summer.

Would it be worthwhile from a cost and cooling effectiveness perspective to install one split system for the ground floor and one for the upstairs versus a ducted evaporative cooling that will have a vent in living spaces and bedrooms?

But I am also willing to consider ducted air-conditioning if the rental yield on the installation cost is high, eg. installation cost = $12,000 but delivers a $25/week higher rent.

Are there any other solutions I may not have considered yet?

Appreciate your thoughts!

Eug.

2. wobbycarly

wobbycarly Well-Known Member

IMO, cooling is wasted in Geelong. We have about 5 days (or nights) a year when the A/C needs to go on. The rest of the time, fans are fine, with heating being required about 6-8 months of the year! :)

Stick with a good whole-house heating system, and targetted (ie, main bedroom) cooling.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Evap coolers are no good in coastal locations. Consider a whole of house fan, passive solar design, plenty of insulation and r/c splitty to bedroom and living area. Gas heating may be more of a consideration.

JacM likes this.
  4. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Work well in dry climates like Perth.

Best to get an oversized system for max efficiency.

I like the fact you can run them all day for a buck.

5. Eug

Eug Member

Thanks for your thoughts everyone! :)

I will definitely be including ducted gas heating for the whole house.

With regards to cooling, it sounds like fans throughout combined with one split system air-con to the upstairs master bedroom would be the way to go.

6. Bryn

Bryn Member

whats the cost difference from ducted gas (plus 1 or 2 split ACs) to ducted reverse cycle AC- the same or not much more I would have thought?

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia