Ducted Air Conditioning

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by YCB, 24th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. YCB

YCB Member

Hi Everyone,
    Looking for some advice in regards to a property that I am thinking of putting in an offer on. The place is a 5 bedroom single storey house ( build up area around 38 squares) build by the current owner.

Apparently he ran out of funds didn't fully install the ducted air conditioning for the place. Real estate agent indicated that the duct-work is done in the roof but need the other components such as the outdoor unit and etc.

Is there any way to tell that the ductwork is done properly?
    How can i put it on the contract that the ductwork needs to be satisfactory before the contract becomes unconditional?
    Who is the best person to do the inspection for the ductworks?

Thanks!

2. jazzsidana

jazzsidana Well-Known Member

Reach out ducted air con installers in your area and request them to give you the quote.

Get a clause added in the contract subject to satisfactory ....

Cheers,

3. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Be more concerned about what else they didnt finish when the money ran out?

neK likes this.
  4. YCB

YCB Member

That is definitely a concern for me. Any advice to mitigate the risks?

5. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Building inspection, tell the inspector what the situation is and tell them to look for issues.

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Get a quote to install AC from scratch, removal of the existing plus provision of power + 20%. That should come close to what it will cost to finish.

chylld and Stoffo like this.
  7. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Ask to see all work certification for the build to date. A building inspector up to date should be able to advise. Just add clauses to the contract to mitigate reasonable risk, if you aren't sure what to add talk to a solicitor.

8. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

How old is the place ?
    Most installers won't use existing, as they have to warranty the work.
    They will tell you the insulation isn't current/as good
    So as per @Scott No Mates
    (at least $15k)

9. Chase71

Chase71 Well-Known Member

They mainly preinstall ductwork for 2 storey homes so that they can build the droppers into wardrobes and cavities for the lower floor. As you are looking at a single storey its unusual as they always install the indoor fan coil first and then the ductwork. End of the day the duct work is only worth about 1K at the very most.
    Installers may use it if it is the right size. The size of the duct work determines the static pressure and airflow rates. Right size duct has to be used to achieve manufactures rated airflows. Also correct sizing is required for air balancing and correct airflows for conditioned space size rooms.
    Just factor in that you will require a whole new install.

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Ask the agent for the name of the company that installed the ducting, and then ask them for the quote to finish. Factor that in to your offer.

We have an old ducted system. It will fail one day and at that time, we cannot re-use the ducting. We'd have to have it removed and start again.

So you need to ask an expert and possibly factor in replacing the lot if the new installer will not warrant it.

11. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

The flex ducting is only a small part of the install,but at least it's already in the roof space..Then you have the heat pumps ,all the flow dampers ,fire dampers -piped up ,and the air balanced ,your best off just costing a new install,and try a get a plan of the flex layout ..imho..

Shogun likes this.
  12. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Avoid vague terms in contracts. Satisfactory means different things to different people.

13. Chase71

Chase71 Well-Known Member

YCB
    If you get a duct layout with sizes and floor layout. I can tell you if it can be used or not if it is in good condition.
    The size and configuration of the unit you installer will also determine the layout.
    If you zone the system say day/night the ducting configuration will be different to conditioning all the space at once. Air takes path of least resistance so duct length and sizes are critical to deliver the right air volumes to the right room sizes.
    Duct is cheap as most comes from china these days. Like mentioned just factor in a new install and if the installer can use any of the duct then it is a bonus.

14. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Loads of new build homes are pre-ducted and installers use this SOMETIMES...Its not uncommon to find what was installed was only the vents with a short piece of crushed and sealed off flex duct which is useless. Its just taped on and can be removed. All you have saved is ceiling cut outs and the plastic vents themselves and are now stuck with vent positions.

However many things could be a issue a local installer could easily check it out eg is it ONLY the flex ducting that was installed ? It wont provide much of a saving on a system to be honest. eg Have electricals been prewired ?

15. YCB

YCB Member

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

I will be calling the real estate agent today and try to get more information. It sounds to me like my offer should take into consideration that i will likely have to do it from scratch.

I am a bit worried with this property but i like the location and the land. Owner-builder that ran out of money when building always raise a bit of a red flag for me.

16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Will you be getting a building and pest inspection? And don't owner builders have to warrant their work for six years?

I don't know what happens if they go bust though, as you can't get blood out of a stone.

17. YCB

YCB Member

Will definitely be getting an B&P inspection. Not too sure about the warranty part actually. Anyone here have any idea?

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia