Dual occupancy without council permit, building insurance

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by Brenda Davies, 26th Apr, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Brenda Davies

Brenda Davies New Member

Hi,
    I have a single storey house that I would like to split into 2 and rent out to separate tenants on different tenancy agreements
    The dividing wall won’t be a fire wall
    If I don’t have council approval/ permit for the dual occupancy, can I still get building insurance that would cover me in the event of damage such as fire which might start one end and spread to the other?
    I presume 2 landlord insurance policies would not be a problem?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Council has the power to force the reamalgamation of the building back into a single property, cause to terminate the leases & return the rent to the tenants.

3. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

Welcome Brenda,
    You have almost answered your own question...
    Unless you have building and council approval the insurance company will likely deem your property as non compliant and refuse insurance.
    To get this approval you will need to meet BCA requirements and also submit a development application to council for approval.
    It is worthwhile to seek a licenced builder first for advice about making a suitable fire wall.
    Good luck....:)

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.