Dual occupancy in Melbourne

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by MissyD, 6th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MissyD

MissyD New Member

Hello. I am trying to find out methods for dual occupancy in Melbourne to help the yield along. I'm coming up with nothing except for subdivision (expensive). I've found houses that say they have permits to build a dwelling at the rear but I'm wondering if that means that it is just for relatives to use the dwelling and not to rent out to an external tenant.

Would a granny flat be an approved dwelling? If not a granny flat, how much does it cost roughly to build a rear dwelling without being fancy?

I've searched on duplex pairs and can't seem to find them in Melbourne. No dual key properties that I can see. Should I give up on Melbourne?

I would love to hear from someone who knows how to do this.
    Thanks

2. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Depends on the size but say 3/2/2 would be circa $200k for nothing fancy with driveway and services.

3. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

Dual occs help yeild along nicely.. Personally I wouldn't do a dual occ tho based on yeild only. Ive always factored in a decent equity gain in addition to yeild.
    In Melbourne I'm finding it's just getting harder and harder to find a potential dual occ property that will leave you a decent equity gain after your done.

If it's just yeild your focussed on tho, that's pretty easy. Just find a property within the suitable planning zones with enough land for second behind it. Find a draftsman and follow the local councils planning procedures.
    There's no need for sub division if you're just going to rent them out.

If you find a property with permits already in place, even better... But generally you will pay more for this.

Forget the granny flat idea in Vic.. They are not allowed to be leased out seperately to unrelated parties. And in my opinion, spending a minimum 70k plus on something that adds negligible value to your property is just burning money.

4. MissyD

MissyD New Member

Thank you. Do you know a good builder you could recommend? Is this something you could contemplate doing from Sydney? Would you have to appoint a Project Manager? How much would that cost?

5. MissyD

MissyD New Member

Thank you Connor. I've read that doing this kind of thing can limit the number of potential buyers because not so many people want two houses on the one title. I guess that could impact on the sale price eventually but that could be 20+ years down the track. Maybe it is worth doing if it makes it easier to hold the property and pay down debt.

Of course, I'll check with council but do you think that the permit means a dwelling for another family member?

6. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

If you want to sell, there is nothing preventing you from separating the titles once constructed.
    It is a straightforward application to council from the land surveyor and once council agrees lodging with the titles office. About 4-6 weeks and 3-5K

Cactus likes this.
  7. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Many people here develop interstate. I never have so not sure of the logistics. As for builders get a local drafty and ask them for recommendations.

8. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

@MissyD this seems like a ^^^^^ plausible idea to me as a seperate title should add masive value.

I also think that this type of dwelling, assuming its modern will be more and more desirable as time goes on. Its a viable alternative to getting an new apartment for around thw same price. I know I would prefer a small, modern, comfortable small house over an apartment.

Ps. not familiar with the planning laws in Vic.

9. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Not sure why Anyone would ever build at the rear and not subdivide? So much equity to be made in what after construction should be a fairly straightforward process.

10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

if you build at the rear, make sure you are upfront with Council about the intention to subdivide later - in case you get caught out by different requirements.

11. 8512

8512 New Member

Dual Key is a trend still new to Victoria- I feel it could solve so much of the rental crisis we face in Melbourne. Qld and NSW are adopters. Granny flats are a solution for you. Dual Occupancy- duplex, tandem dual occs are very common in Melbourne- but it only works if the site meets the variety of planning requires each site is burdened by.
    Financially, a duplex means you are demolishing one house to replace with another 2. By demoilishing you suddenly lost a lot of capital vale- an asset the bank took into consideration- unless the existing house is in very poor condition. Sometimes if the land is deep enough building one new home behind an existing home is smarter thinking way of building wealth.

12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Building a granny flat to gain ongoing income from non relatives in Melbourne won't work due to regulations. Unless you have a dependent person in your family who will pay you rent.

Regulations are quite strict, and granny flats are for dependent persons. They are expected to be removed once the dependent person no longer needs them.

KateAshmor likes this.
  13. 8512

8512 New Member

Dual occupancy is alive and kicking in Melbourne. If yu subdivide you can sell one of the two lots or both. Finding the right site- orientation, width, slope, driveway width, vegetation, zoning and Schedule are key factors to consider.
    Dual Key is a great concept but Vic Councils yet to embrace a way of solving the rental/crisis.

14. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

how does it work when there is a bungalow attached to the main house with its own entry and entry to main house? If you were to close the entry to the main house and let it only use its own entrance, is there any way to tenant it separately to the main house?

15. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Anyone remember grand_dad? What happened to him? He was hyping about dual occasions Frankston then..

16. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

Which companies do it for that price who are good and reliable?