Dual Occ builder

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by dan2101, 22nd Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Posted a couple of months ago about project home builders. Was originally going to build a single storey stand alone but now going down the path of a dual occ now that funds allow.

Anyone used one of the project home companies for this? Looking for a decent size 3-4 bedroom, 2 bathroom, 2 storey. Good/bad experiences?

Thanks!

Last edited: 22nd Sep, 2016
  2. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

most of the designs ive seen for dual key are rubbish

if building new and the width is wide enough would consider ones which are positioned like a duplex or separated and set up like a battle axe if you have enough land

3. dan2101

Hey @gach2 land is about 500sqm. It's the bottom section of a battle axe block that's about 16-17sqm wide. I agree re design but it's just a lot quicker and cheaper to go with a project home company than get an architect in and contract the build.

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

yes and no. I got a draftee to design my project and then basically shopped it around with many local, smaller builder I actually saved money at least 40K cheaper than quotes I received from spec builder.

5. SK Investments

SK Investments Well-Known Member

Wherever the wind takes me, currently Brisbane
    Log on to Dixon homes, they have an extensive range of plans with pricing by location. Can't vouch for quality, reviews are up and down.

6. dan2101

Thanks @SK Investments I'll have a look.

Had a brief look at hotondo, masterton and tullipan and finished product seems to be around the $500-$650k mark.

Hey @MTR im guessing you've built a few 3/2/1 2 two storey duplexes? What sort of prices have you been getting with local builders. Might be worth us looking into I just assumed project home builders would be cheaper.

Thanks

7. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Avoid the big guys and look around for smaller custom builders. They are generally more flexible in the approach. Drive the new estates with builds under construction and look at the hoardings on the safety fences to find contact details. Do your due diligence to make sure they won't go under.

Colin Rice likes this.
  8. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Not necessarily. I have used project builders and smaller builders and the smaller builders seem to be a lot more flexible. I moved into a PPOR 8 weeks before it was ready for handover which saved me 8 weeks rent from the previous PPOR as we where renting it back form the new owners. The actual build was done in a very tight time frame as well compared to project type builders.

Go this route ^^^^^. It will be cheaper and probably no difference in time, if anything you will save a packet and get it done quicker.

9. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

at 16-17m a side by side should not be an issue (assuming you can build 0.9 to side walls)

would give an internal of 6.5-7m each if split

being a battle axe would be undesirable for dual keys (2 parties sharing the same access)

10. smator

smator Well-Known Member

Sorry to dig up an old thread, are you saying it was 40k cheaper to compared to getting a big builder to build to your plans, or comparing to a similar display home?

Do you think that this applies to standalone houses or just townhouse/duplexes?

11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Exactly that and I negotiated higher specifications for my villas.

From my experience if you are building cookie cutter, stand alone home, no variations to design the project builders are often cheaper. However, not necessarily the case when building townhouses etc. because you may find a smaller builder who needs the continuous work, may not have the same overheads etc.

However, in saying this if it is a booming property market building prices will continue to rise due to the demand, builders can pick and chose what jobs they want and if they have too much work they can pump up the price. This is exactly what is happening in Melbourne at the moment.

The reverse in Perth, its a flat/falling market building prices become competitive as builders jobs dry up