Dual Living House and renting out 2 sides separately

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by natalietuffley, 6th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. natalietuffley

natalietuffley New Member

I have a house in Brighton which has 5 bedrooms, 2 kitchens, 2 laundry's, 5 toilets, 4 bathrooms. There is a 2 car garage attached to the house, and another single garage which stands alone.

The property is 3 years old.

Can I rent the 3 bedroom side out to one family, and the 2 bedroom side out to another ? The second side has a separate entrance.

If I can't do this legally, what do I need to do to get the approval to do so ?

I've been on the BCC website, having trouble actually identifying what it is I need to do ?

2. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

3. natalietuffley

natalietuffley New Member

Do I find that out on the BCC website ? I don’t recall us doing that but the house has 2 parts to it so maybe we did

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

From that BCC site... Proposals for dual occupancy require a planning application.

If you haven't lodged a planning application, perhaps the previous owner did. If so, the records will be with BCC.

5. JDM

JDM Well-Known Member

A property enquiry search with BCC will show recent approvals: Default - Home

6. radioactive

radioactive Well-Known Member

There could be a possibility where your property is built as a single occupancy.However,you can lease it out two separate families.In WA,if you intend to build a dual living home for the sole purpose of investment then you are required to build a dual occupancy home which requires min R30 zoning and 450sqm of land.What I have seen recently is the builders create a dual living layout and propose to council as a normal 4x2.There are instances where parents live in the ancillary dwelling and thus they have 2nd kitchen.This generally gets approved.However,its a bit of gray area in the sense that council doesnt know you are using it for a business by leasing it to two seperate families while technically you can lease to only one.

7. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Not in the BCC area.
    Illegal.
    Marg

8. Paul Mete

Paul Mete Well-Known Member

We suggest you check with your insurance company as it would be most unfortunate if something happened and they refused to payout due to what they consider misuse of the property.

PAUL

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia