Dual key houses victoria

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Brendon, 13th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

Are dual key houses legal in Victoria?

I've seen a lot of talk about them in qld and nsw but none about vic.

I thought that there may be legislation that prevented renting two seperate areas on one property but I'm not sure how that would work when people airBnB rooms/bungalows etc.

Any info on this would be much appreciated!

Thanks

2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Down ther eyou can put 2 dwellings on small blocks, so why bother with dual key ? That is probably why.

NSW you can do 60m2 granny flat and attach a garage, or many councils allow duplex, I do not see dual key up here, piles of duplexes have been done though and are readily accepted.

3. Brendon

The main reason I thought you would bother is land where you can't actually subdivide or put two seperate dwellings on one block. New estates or land that's under the minimum land size for two actual dwellings.
    With yield so low in many areas I thought there must be reasons why this hasn't be explored too much (as far as I'm aware)

4. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

In NSW you can do a GF and it can be attached or detached, I am not sure down there, but what you say makes sense, probably depends on the local council ?

Maybe call the local council, or someone else may chime in @MTR has done things there IIRC

5. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    In Vic, you can do it easily if you subdivide, but then its not really dual occ, as you arent doing 2 dwellings on 1 title - you are doing 2 dwellings on separate titles. It also means time at council and additional costs for subdivision. There are members here who do it, but it seems at first glance to be an inferior version of "dual occ" versus the NSW version.

RE Granny flats in VIC, the legislation requires that the 2nd dwelling must be a DPU - dependent person unit. As I understand it, councils have some discretion in these matters, but Im told most council areas specify that granny flats can only be occupied by a person who is dependent on the resident of the main dwelling – normally a family member. Once they leave it has to be removed. Ouch! This means that granny flats cannot be occupied or rented out privately. As I said, inferior to the NSW version. Just very inflexible. Basically forces you to pay for a subdivision to achieve what you want.

I'm told there may be some councils where this rule isnt applied, but no one has been able to tell me which councils this may be.... and I havent been able to find one yet in spite of hours of googling. Perhaps someone else on here knows Vic councils where its allowed?

Just by way of comparison, in NSW a 2nd dwelling can be done without council approval, as long as its a complying development - meaning 60M2 or less. You just need a private certifier. Simple. No extra cost or delays from council. This is why granny flats are becoming so popular in NSW. It's what I use for the dual occ's I do at Bathurst and Orange. There has long been talk of VIC adopting NSW rules on this,but so far nothing has come of it.

6. Brendon

I thought you'd be all over this!

It does seem a bit ridiculous that they are so strict about it in vic especially when housing affordability is such a big topic at the moment.

I have a property that I am going to subdivide (2 seperate titles) but it's more a equity play than a yield one.

I have seen a few properties advertised as being able to rent in 2 halves but have to question the legality of it.

Seems the search for councils that allow for dual key is my next step.

I like the idea of new dual key properties with proper firewall/separation between the two.

Do you have totally seperate metering on all you dual occs?

7. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Yeah, shame VIC is off the pace with dual occ/granny flats.

RE how I do the products Im selling in NSW - There is separate metering, but they are also separate dwellings. ie they arent under one roof, separated by a firewall. They are 2 distinct, detached dwellings.

Looks just like this...

Screen Shot 2017-02-15 at 11.29.55 pm.png

Or this

Screen Shot 2017-04-14 at 3.05.23 pm.png

8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

9. Daza

Daza Member

Hey I'd like to reopen this thread I got an email from a Victorian agent premoting these guys I was wondering if anyone has since had any experience with them.

10. housechopper2

housechopper2 Well-Known Member

Promoting what guys ?