Dual key first investment- would love some insight on what to do next?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by jai collier, 16th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. jai collier

jai collier Well-Known Member

Hi there im jai collier, new to this forum and seeking some advice from fellow investors in australia.

i built a dual key rental property 3 years ago now has been rented for about 2 and a half years on the sunshine coast in landsborough Qld.

done plenty of research before, used a architect to design and build it, research on landsborough as a investment, used good brokers and everything for the finance ect ect.

heres the figures- 297k for the build, 230k for the land (purchased in 2018 i believe) 20k government first home buyers grant 15k land rebait wich i took off the build contract was 312k originally, i put 40k in for the deposit, & mortgage is currently sitting at 470k.

Moved in for a while first then rented out, 2 or so years on its now renting out for 880$ a week 420 for small side, 460 for big side so making great returns! Im currently paying 2000$ (was 2400$ before refinancing to lower interest rate) been on P&I whole time, have payed the loan down a fair bit roughly 40k. - so its 2000$ monthly mortgage and im receiving 3500$ rent - take out real estate fees and rates 3000$.
    So 1000$ passive income a month already.

now the only problem i have had with this first build/ purchase is the banks valuing it to release equity, i have made equity on it as its been valued at around 630k, this was a while back but i have had real estate agents value it at 925k!! Thats a 300k difference in the banks value and the real estates, the town landsborough is going up and its in a hot spot on the sunshine coast so theres simular 4 bedroom propertys (not dual keys) selling for over 800-850k at the moment.

I have heard duel keys are hard for the banks to value but i just want some info from others to see if dual keys are worth continuing doing as the cashflows GREAT, but seems to be a issue with banks valuing.
    I have enough equity atm roughly 200k for more but technically if i sell i could have 400-600k?
    My next move i was thinking of going for a commercial property but i will see, maybe even sell & could have a solid deposit for a commercial property? Or even go for another normal 4 bedroom house/build.

any advice would be greatly appreciated and thankyou very much for your time reading all, & of-course any questions others have id be happy to answer myself

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Comparable sales are the key issue for valuations in most places

Not a common product so valued more like 6 bed house with large shed rather than an attached duplex

ta
    rolf

jai collier likes this.
  3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Doesn't it really depend on whether you want/need equity or cashflow to continue your investing?

Personally I think equity is more important when you're starting out and accumulating properties, and then cashflow for later on when you want to get the best yield from your asset base.

jai collier likes this.
  4. jai collier

Thanks rolf yes it is a different type of property i guess, i was thinking of strata titling it and turning into 2 titles, but i believe its not cheap to do

5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Yep, a common strategy for many of our clients is once they have completed their acquisition phase(s), they build granny flats using left over equity.

160 k investment for min 400 a week rent is a good $ for $ return

ta
    rolf

6. jai collier

Yeah im thinking my next one i focus on equity and not cashflow

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

They lied...

The Y-man

8. jai collier

they would of lied a bit but there is property's on the sunshine coast and all around here selling for around this price, due to the sunshine coast being a hot spot during covid

9. The Y-man

Dual keyed? Ironically, it could be more valuable then to declare it a "normal house".

The Y-man

10. jai collier

I dont quite know what you mean sorry haha

11. The Y-man

Sorry I meant are the similar sales for dual keyed properties or normal houses?

The Y-man

12. jai collier

I see its for normal houses, but even old houses are selling for 8-900’s here, i havent even looked at dual key sales here actually so thats good advice i should be

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.