Dual key dwelling + seperate granny flat (3 Rental incomes). Possible?

Discussion in 'Granny Flats' started by Fiasco, 17th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Can it be done?

1. Yes

2. No

3. Maybe

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Fiasco

Fiasco Member

I have approx 1000sqm block of land on the NSW south coast. Looking to try build a large 5 bedroom house (which can be divided into 2 living areas) and then also build a 60sqm detached granny flat on the same title (hopefully achieving 3 rental incomes). Has anybody done this before?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

3 dwellings on one property is considered units etc, so generally not permitted.

What is the minimum size of land for subdivision? If you can put a GF on the block, then erect a subdivisible duplex you may have some scope but unlikely in other circumstances.

3. Fiasco

Fiasco Member

minimum lot size is 500. So as long as the initial house goes into council as a 5 bedroom house and not a dual oc then it could be possible?

4. Scott No Mates

No. The 5 bedder cannot be dual key in this case.

You can subdivide to 500 m2 and build 2 separate houses on separate titles each with a GF or one house with a GF on 1000 m2 but not 3 dwellings on one title.

Perthguy and Propertunity like this.
  5. Fiasco

Fiasco Member

Wouldn't the 5 bedroom house be considered as one dwelling though?

6. Scott No Mates

Yes, a 5 bed would be considered one dwelling but if it were dual key it is two.

7. Fiasco

Fiasco Member

Does it depend on the floor plan or does it depend on the intended use? What defines it as a dual key?

8. Scott No Mates

I am not a town planner but if the building can accommodate 2 separate dwellings ie 2 kitchens, no sharing of facilities (eg bathrooms, common lounge rooms, separately secure) then the house is dual occupancy.

9. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Best way to do it is to is subdivide torrens and build 2 houses + granny flat

your option is possible too build but legaility in renting the 5 bedroom house to 2 parties will be unlikely

10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Two kitchens is a dead giveaway. Or a very illogical layout that just screams "alterations are going to be made once built".
    Marg

11. Big Lez

Big Lez Well-Known Member

I would recommend talking to a town planner who knows all the rules for the LGA you intend to build on.

Something you might have to be careful of, they might let you build exactly what you are wanting to build, but they won't let you rent the dwellings to separate parties. For example, in Sydney, one of my clients did exactly what you are proposing on a similar sized block, but instead of renting it out to separate parties, he has rented out the dwellings to his parents and his brothers family.

The other option (again, talk to a Town Planner), get a Torrens title subdivision or a strata subdivision if it meets the councils requirements.

12. ej89

ej89 Well-Known Member

Think it depends on council. I remember a 500sqm subdivided battleaxe block in blacktown i looked at a while back had a restriction that only one dwelling could be built on the land no granny flat or secondary dwelling could be built