Dual income property

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Bhb, 14th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Bhb

Bhb Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    After a long and unsuccessful search to buy a house that ticks my criteria and budget, I came across a dual income property ( houses & granny adjacent to each other) in the catchment of a reputed public school. However the main property has an in-ground pool which will not be used by us. Can you please suggest on the below questions :

1. Is it a good idea to buy dual income property ? My budget will be increased by 200k approximately but its near a good school & public transportation to city. So, my kids can go to this school and hopefully second dwelling can be rented out without much delays.

2. Is it a bad idea to buy a house with a pool when you know you won't use it ? Should I close the pool and use that space as backyard ? If yes how much would that cost me approximately.

3. If I decide not to close the pool, is the maintenance too much ?

Thank you very much in advance.

2. Poppy

Poppy Well-Known Member

1. yes
    2. and 3. with kids of course you should use it.
    you can use it with min maintenance costs about 2k pa for pump and heaps of chlorine.

We realised electricity in NSW is sooo much more exp than chemicals so we use chloine copper etc rather than pump for hours. when elec was cheap it was thew other way around. get the chmicals online bbulk cheap

you could do what my parents did and turn the pool into a carp pond with lily pads\
    or just fill it in
    both cheap

Bhb likes this.
  3. skater

skater Well-Known Member

Our previous PPOR had 2 x 3bed homes on the one block. The rent from the second home was very handy in helping pay it off quickly, but if you DO rent it out, be professional about it. Use a PM and treat them like any other neighbour.

If you've got 2 kids, they will certainly use the pool. Learn to take care of it. They really don't take much work, and it's not expensive. Just look around and find the cheapest supplier of chlorine.

Bhb likes this.
  4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Skateboard halfpipe :)

ta
    rolf

Pingu1988 and Lindsay_W like this.