NSW Dual income property design ideas or thoughts

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Saran Raja, 26th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Saran Raja

Saran Raja Member

Hi Friends,
    New to investing, hence planning on a new dual income design property.
    Attached the design, hopefully will get some new ideas/thoughts?

Can you please let me know any updates, you might prefer to make on the design?

Thanks
    Raj

Attached Files:

2. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    It’s very small . What’s the Build cost ?
    Will it be full turnkey? Ie driveway, clothes line, fences , letterbox etc?

3. Saran Raja

Saran Raja Member

Hi,
    Yes planning for a full turn key package.
    Just trying to get the designs done to get the final costing, hence prefer to stickit within the 250 sqm mark.also its only for investment not sure getting the size bigger will get any higher rent returns.

Any thoughts?.

4. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

The size of the house seems fine.
    I have been building similar and this seems to save space and provide just enough room.

I am more concerned with people overpaying for a dual occupancy while someone could do better with small land and a single story decent house.

Regards
    Ashish

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  5. Saran Raja

Saran Raja Member

Thanks Friends,
    Updated few changes, FYI.
    Any suggestions, please share:

Attached Files:

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The living area of the small side is very compromised. With 5 doors off that area it is next to impossible to furnish so I imagine people will put a sofa 1m in from the sliding glass door so it can face the tv spot.

I would add some extra windows to the living area on the large side. Perhaps a highlite window above the tv location or 2 narrow windows either side of the tv location otherwise that area will be dark dark dark. You might even consider a skylight in the kitchen.

7. Saran Raja

Saran Raja Member

Thanks Westminster,
    Hasn't moved the furniture on the granny flat side, the sofa should be next to the dining table so the TV is onthe opposite wall.
    Also planning to extend the alfresco area into an L shaped, so can get a sliding door in the living room to get more light.
    Thanks for your suggestions, working onthe improvements, WIll share the new design soon.
    THanks

8. ashish1137

ashish1137 Well-Known Member

Hi Mate
    I dont think justifying the design would help.

There are more things to a property than trying to extract money out of it. This design is bad, very bad. The rooms entries are always hidden from living.

As westminster mentioned, there is no privacy and all the doors are opening in living. The furniture placement would not look nice either. Yes, you can place. Due to both these reasons, it will not be a pleasant sight. Please go through the dos and donts on builds.

Even as a renter, i would think twice before moving in such a property. Your property (because it is small and dual occupancy), you dont want to take too much of risk. Hence please follow the norms. :)

ellejay likes this.
  9. qak

qak Well-Known Member

If the hall on the larger side is only 1m wide, the actual front door opening will be pretty small - will be difficult to get furniture in there.

I think the small side is just too small - and the large side has wasted space with that hallway.

The garage door widths need to be checked - if you can't get standard door widths (2400mm single and 4800 double) they are going to be damn tight. The larger side doesn't look like you can get two cars in it so what's the point? If there is a car in there can you use the other doors?

Would a more regular shape (ie all straight sides) make the build cheaper - as it is, the roof lines will be all over the place (and if you want to add solar, bigger roof spaces are better).

Maybe look for dual key floor plans rather than what has been done there.

ETA: something like this - Building Plans - Six Bedroom Dual Key House Plan | dual key home plans | dual living plans | dual home living plans | duplex design |

Last edited: 28th Feb, 2019
  10. Saran Raja

Saran Raja Member

Thanks for all your suggestions friends, more to think about.Thank you all.

11. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

I suggest for the granny flat:
    - Bathroom should be adjacent to the laundry of the main house. This way you share a common drainage and plumbing system. Save on drainage complexity and copper piping.
    - Do not have a separate laundry in the granny flat. Put inside the toilet/shower area, save space
    - Move the whole kitchen up to the current linen cupboard.

12. mickyyyy

mickyyyy Well-Known Member

@Saran Raja im also toying with this idea as I've been introduced to a builder who is cheaper than others and good quality finish.

250sqm total id be doing 4 bed as more rent

What price have you been quoted just for build? excluding site costs, basix and knock down of existing dwelling

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.