Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

QLD Dual Income (not legal height)

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Gruber, 16th Oct, 2015.

1. Gruber

Gruber Member

I have seen properties advertised with tenants currently renting upstairs and down but the ad's are saying (downstairs, not legal height). Can someone please explain this to me? I get that the legal height is to be 2.4m and obviously isn't, but I'm wondering the implications of renting this out? is it actually legal?

2. Inov8ive

Inov8ive Well-Known Member

Basically it can not be legally rented out as a separate residence. So, if you did find someone to rent it then insurance would be completely void, leaving you vulnerable. It is basically not really a realistic possibility of considering it as a separate residence if legal height is not met. Some people do rent them out, personally I wouldnt do it. In saying that, you could add extra rooms under the house and call them rumpus or storage to get extra rent in that instance.

Gruber likes this.
  3. Whishy

Whishy Well-Known Member

Maybe not separately, however these properties do appeal to larger families, especially ones with older teenagers living at home. Does generally lead to higher rental return.

Beats a non-clad garage thats for sure.

wylie and Gruber like this.
  4. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

I've got one like this - top and bottom are separate and can be rented separately. Height below is way under 2.4m. Oh, and there's no fireproofing between areas!
    It's a single property (no body corporate), not designated flats or units, on one lease.

The way this is legal today is that council have deemed that the property is as it was designed, built and originally given certification of occupancy: at the time they were built they accorded with the ADR then (or whatever they were called at the time).
    As long as I don't do major renovations, or at least keep the same footprint, I don't have to bring it up to modern code. I can advertise and rent them separately or together under the same lease, and if I sell I can sell them as a single 5-bedder or as a 3-bed over a 2-bed.

Now, if I were trying to have an existing property with separate rentals when it hadn't ever been like that, then all the modern rules and regs would be applied before council gave approval.

Note there's no way I'd take on the huge liability of doing it without council approval! You wouldn't be covered for insurance for either part for a start, and that's only the start...

5. E.T

E.T Active Member

Ho

how old is this house?

6. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Built mid-late 60's, Brisbane.