Drying carpet - Tips anyone ?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by See Change, 11th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

My Home recording studio got flooded on Sunday evening , not deep , only around 1 cm , but enough to soak the carpet

Carpet on concrete with acoustic underlay . Just realised that the top layer of the underlay is waterproof so there is a layer of water under that ...

So far , used wet / dry vac to suck up as much as possible , two carpet dryers have dried most of the carpet . Have the Air Con on at 30 . Windows slightly open so fresh air into the room . door opens to a stair well and there's an open door above , so hot humid air going outside up the stairwell .

At this stage I've realised that I need to take up the underlay and dry that thoroughly , getting the worst out with the wet vac and blower and then take that out and dry it outside . It's in panels so I can to that .

Then thoroughly dry carpet ( and room ) with blowers and then I'll put the air con onto a dehumidifier mode for a while

Havn't had to do this before ..

Any other thoughts / suggestions ?

Cliff

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Are you covered for flood under your insurance policy?
    If so, contact them ASAP.

3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

The downstairs of my parents place had the carpet all wet at their place too.... but my dad uses carpet squares laid on cement and just took them all out!!!

My place, some rain was seriously getting through closed windows, doors, gaps in the fireplace and I swear, seems like gaps in sandstone! But there's no carpet. Hopefully my partner's computing equipment (mini server?) he keeps near a window has not been damaged.

4. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Unfortunately won't be relevant

Studio was originally back end of a Tandem garage so not designated living area , just hadn't been flooded before

Cliff