Drugs program being tried in Australia

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by geoffw, 25th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

A program which has been very successful in reducing the use of alcohol, cigarettes and other drugs is to be trialled in Australia
    How Iceland could help curb Aussie kids’ drug use

Some more on the program was included in a link posted a while back by @MTR
    How Iceland Got Teens to Say No to Drugs

I heard an interview on the radio today. One example of a technique which is being used in some parts of Iceland is providing money for each young person aged 6 to 16 for some approved extra curricular activity of their own choice - say sport, music or whatever.

It will be interesting to see the results of the trial in Australia - it's encouraging to see that people are willing to explore positive techniques which have worked in other places.

PlanetYouth – Evidence based drug prevention

HUGH72, Toon and Lindsay_W like this.
  2. VB King

VB King Well-Known Member

People in general don’t respond well to negative messages. Smoking kills ... ignore it, it’ll happen to someone else, etc.

NZ actually had a clever initiative on communicating positives. Eg, “this park is brought to you by Smoke Free”.

I suspect while it will be a generational change, it will ultimately be successful.

3. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

I hope it works. Notwithstanding existing smokers, there's a good argument cigarettes should be banned completely. Alcohol is more difficult but reducing excessive binge drinking across society would be good. Illegal drugs are tough, they're already illegal and there is evidence that increasing punishment makes little difference.

I believe that getting society more active is important - for health and getting people away from harmful substances and activities (mobile phones for E.g)