Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community

Drug Users/Dealers in Apartment - Best Options?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by adgeee, 14th Feb, 2017.

Tags:
  1. adgeee

adgeee New Member

Hi All,

I own an apartment in Sydney and we're having some major issues with the owners in one of the other apartments using and dealing drugs. It's causing a lot of stress to those living in the apartments and is affecting everyone's investment very negatively.

We recently held an emergency meeting with all other tenants/owners to discuss. The actions of this individual have resulted in:
    • Drug users coming and going at all hours of the night and buzzing other apartments. Keys have been cut freely and many people have been able to come and go as they please
    • Drug users squatting in the garage and leaving faeces, syringes and other paraphernalia
    • Noise, smells, scratches on walls etc.
    • The owner recently had their door broken in and was robbed and assaulted (presumably due to a drug debt or related). Police were called and he himself was arrested on drugs charges, but since released and back in the apartment
    And the list goes on...

It's a unique situation in that the man actually owns the unit, so our options in getting rid of him seem limited to null, beyond reporting everything he does to police and hoping for further arrests/charges. The unit itself is only 3 years old and is actually a designer apartment complex.

Our immediate actions and next steps are to:
    • Upgrade to security keys which can't be cut
    • Upgrade all locks around the building
    • Investigate the installation of security cameras ($10k+)

I guess my question is around who we should be engaging to help us with this issue (lawyers? STRATA companies? (current company is not great) ) and also what other measure can we look at to protect our investment and curb what's going on?

Thanks for your help!

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

In the first instance, I would suggest a chat with the local police. The owner is probably known to them. They may also have advice on what steps you can legally take.

The measures you suggest should help.

Msybe investigatecsecurity cameras that record 24 hours a day over entrances. Put up large notices that everyone entering or leaving the premises will be photographed. Obviously cost may make this too expensive.

You can't do too much about the owner, but maybe deter the customers!
    Marg

EN710 and Magnet like this.
  3. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

Going to the extreme you could employ a static guard/door man at the entry door during his peak trade times to ask visitors who they are visiting and for what purpose in a pooite manner.

Obviously visitors could simply ignore the guard and continue on into the building but they are more likely to be put off by the presence of they're up to no good.

big max likes this.
  4. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I'm sure the police would be interested.

5. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Why not set up an IP security camera and give the cops a link?

6. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Pics?

3k_Alan, big max, Bran and 1 other person like this.
  7. dmb1978

dmb1978 Well-Known Member

Not many options really. Can you all get together and buy him out and then hopefully sell for a profit?

8. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Aldi sell fake security cameras cheap. Have the little red light to make them look "active".
    They don't actually wire into anything so if/when they get smashed up there is no major $ lost. This may be a deterrent to some, as they look VERY realistic. Movement sensor floodlights in the garage area would also be a good idea. Otherwise constant calls to Crimestoppers are anonymous.

ashish1137 likes this.
  9. RenegadeDom

RenegadeDom Well-Known Member

Put up a sign saying cheaper drugs in the adjoining complex with an arrow pointing down the street.

zac101, EN710, Dan Donoghue and 7 others like this.
  10. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

Pretend to be a guard and explain to users that Donnie's only taking orders of 2kg or more. Any less and they should find a new dealer. Might end up getting stabbed

Dan Donoghue and Tim & Chrissy like this.
  11. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Which suburb are you in out of interest ?

12. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Been there, done that.

We sold up, probably should have hung on, but other owners were not that great either.

Basically, nothing will be done unless there is enough evidence and incentive to take them away, if they are dealers, they do not just walk in and arrest them, it requires time & druggos have more time than normal sane people :)

In the mean time, you get to put up with the trash on a daily basis. It could take years to resolve.

wylie likes this.
  13. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

Don't underestimate the power of crime stoppers reports, if everyone reports the activity and they start to build up action is more likely to be taken.

Frazz and Magnet like this.
  14. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

• Excellent quality CCTV installed at the front entrance, stair well entrances and showing his unit door.
    • Ring the Police EVERY single time something happens - large or small.
    • Offer the Police any good vantage points for surveillance of offenders/offending
    • Make an appointment to see the Police Commander about it and ask what they can do for you.
    The Police rely on information from the public in order to catch the crooks. It's in yours and the Police best interest to get your heads together to solve the problem. If you go and see them they may give it priority over something else. The squeaky wheel gets the oil.
    Unfortunately drugs are everywhere these days and you may not be the only unit block with this problem. If the unit owner is selling & manufacturing drugs they may have bought the unit to launder money. If the Police have enough evidence they may confiscate the unit as part of the investigation when he's charged - problem solved - once the drug supply runs out the junkies will find a new dealer.

15. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

My friends two neighbouring properties were sold as proceeds of crime... It is good to see the police at work !
    Persistance pays! Good Luck and keep at it!

WattleIdo likes this.
  16. big max

big max Well-Known Member

In situations like this, personally if legit options are not yielding results I would be inclined to take take matters into my own hands to resolve ...

17. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Unwise when dealing with people who have far less to lose than you.

Hazelnut_Flatwhite likes this.
  18. Pixie

Pixie Active Member

In Hk they generally have a security guard at the main entrance door for every residential buildings. Just thinking if it's worthwhile to hire someone during pm hours..

Just a thought.

Otherwise can't see much options other than set up CCTV equipment and keep calling police. Or sell up.

Good luck.

19. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

We had undesirables (not drug users but armed robbers doing over the area) using our underground garage area and a few neighbors visitors used to use it too rather than leave their car on the street.

We had strata install a remote garage door on the entrance to the parking area. Voila, no more undesirables in the parking area :).

All you can really do is make it harder and harder for them but ultimately there is not much you can do in a short timeframe to resolve it completely.

Ted Varrick likes this.
  20. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Not much one can do with problems like this,the Police would already know full well what going on..
    I have bought 2 x drug houses from the QLD Public Trustee over 20 years ago,one while working on the property a week after settlement 3 OMC members turn up late afternoon drive straight in the back of the property and walk in to where i'm working and i don't think they came for a cup of herbal tea..One said upfront while the other 2 just watched our mate owned this property and as he now serving over 4 years in jail and he left something here in the backyard and we intend to find it ,all i said the shovel in the back of the work truck,five minutes later one walked back in
    said thanks and drove out the way they came in,plus their clubhouse was within 2 klm's of that property,never had a problem after that,but if i would have stood my ground i would have been in the boot of the car on a plastic sheet and don't bring your toothbrush ..